May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jeremy Pearce), 245 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,563
Posts546,368
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#55630 09/08/07 09:08 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Other than the guns made in the early years of production most all of the Mdl 21's I have seen have a beavertail forearm. Did they not make them with a splinter forearm after the first couple years? Do most people that own Mdl 21's prefer the beavertail forearm?

Just curious why I hardly ever see a Mdl 21 with a splinter forearm.

Thanks for your comments

Sidelock
Sidelock

In my October 1946 Winchester catalogue the Standard or Field Gun Model 21 still came with a slim forearm, while all the others -- Trap, Skeet, etc. came with a beavertail. By the February 2, 1950, catalogue the Field Gun was standard with a beavertail. I don't find any mention of a slim forearm being available in that catalogue.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In a visit to CSM earlier this year, I saw a pair CSM Grand American grades in assembly with splinter forearms which had No's 1 and 2 inlaid in gold in the forearms.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Boy this is going to start a fight but I will tell you something, Classisioi, the 21 was not the only gun that people preferred a BTFE. Most people everywhere want BTFE on ALL guns. This board is about the only place where you will find people who want a skimpy little forend on a SXS. I have never been able to figure it out myself. Who wants to hunt with a gun holding onto the barrels? They get hot, your hands get sweaty to the point where they slide on the barrels and quickly wear the bluing off. Oh, that's right, let's wear gloves and let your hands get so sweaty that the dye seeps through them and stains the wood on a nice gun. (My buddy has two big red handprints on his $7,000.00 gun from those expensive BA gloves. There is no way to get it off since it has been absorbed past the varnish, into the wood. He hates it when we call his gun, "BIG RED".) They have even come up with this clumsy whatever it is (?) to clamp over the forend so you can hold onto the gun. Hey!! How about a BTFE to begin with, guy? Nothing worse than looking over a beautiful Parker or LC Smith and then looking down at the forend and seeing this teeny forend that is too small for a nine year old to hang on to. WOMAN'S GUN!! Look at how gracious a forend looks with all that beautiful checkering to match the buttstock. It shows class and craftsmanship. Then look at a SXS with a toothpick for a forend and you have to wonder what someone was thinking when they made the gun, "Hey Bob, that gun has to be out by Tuesday so just wittle down that skimpy piece of Birch over there in the corner, stick some brass thing-a-ma-jig on it and slap it on the gun. Hopefully no one will ever notice if we pretty up the rest of the gun, right?" Did you ever notice people call them splinter forends? That pretty much speaks for itself. You want to know what really burns my butt? I can't even put a SXS with a splinter forend in my safe without touching the barrels after I just wiped it off with an oily rag. Go figure. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure where I stand on this issue but I have and use both. I am tending to use BTFE's on skeet and high volume doves. My sense of practicality tells me the BTFE is better than a burned hand but my sense of aesthetics tells me the splinter looks better. I think practicality wins out. My Model 21 has both; I think I'll switch it back to the BTFE before I take it to the skeet range.

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tell us how you really feel, Jimmy. ;^)

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw the same two guns too, George. A couple of women ordered them. That's why the old Winchester plant stopped putting them on their guns. They found out long ago that REAL men used BTFEs. And the women with their splinter forends liked the looks of their guns standing in the racks between rounds while they sipped their tea with their little fingers pointing up in the air.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Check out this Boss with a Vent Rib and Beaver Tail.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jimmy W
That's why the old Winchester plant stopped putting them on their guns. They found out long ago that REAL men used BTFEs.

Surely you are saying that in jest?

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

Or better yet, how about one of those fabulous Model 21 Grand Royals or American Eagles? I can just imagine someone drooling over one as they run their hands over that gracious wood and being mesmerized by the elegant gold animals and the rich work done by the great Angelo Bee. And then, they run their eyes down along the fine lines of the gun, until they gasp in horror at a pimple of a splinter forearm. AAAAAAHHHHH!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.