Some of my absloutely favourite guns are early base-fire style hammer guns by Lancaster - detail, proportion, shape, engraving, design all stunning.

Later he made a bit of a name for himself (well HAA Thorn who ran the business by then did) by coining the term 'Twelve Twenty' and using it to sell Baker's back action under the Lancaster name from around 1924). thes eare invariably excellent quality - mostly made in Birmingham for Lancaster.

Lancaster sidelocks of the late 19th Century have a dodgy reputation among gunsmiths - especially the 'wristbreakers', which can now be relatively expensive to fix - and you need the right man to do the job.

I do like Lancaster's style and the 'house style' foliate engraving is to my eye very attractive.

The original Charles Lancaster was a barrel maker of first repute and he made barrels for other firms early in his career - keep an eye out for C.L stamped under the barrel tubes of 1870s hammer guns.

Find a good 'Lanc'and it is likely to be the equal of anything else. I have an 1870s oval-bore hammer double rifle at home that is built on the slide and drop underlever action and it could not be nicer if it gave out free cigars.