June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (HalfaDouble, fallingblock), 261 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,575
Posts546,540
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Erik330
No Don, not so. The FORMER (in Missouri, not to be confused with the EXCELLENT current Montana US branch) did some things "on their own" that were particularly bad.

Maybe....but they never did a sleeving job in Springfield.

Sidelock
Sidelock

E330 - I'm not defending the MO WR store, just agree with BB that sleeving was not done at that shop. Far as I know, WR sleeving was all done at WR in the UK. Work sent out by the MO store would not be WR sleeving unless they sent it back to WR. As I recall, they did have an assortment of good, bad, and ugly. No surprise that they might have had some bad and ugly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

WR Missouri was getting guns sleeved that had nothing to do with sending them to WR/the Clode's in England is my point. We all generally agree. Good, bad, and ugly in both places, but uglier in Missouri.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
E330 - I'm not defending the MO WR store, just agree with BB that sleeving was not done at that shop. Far as I know, WR sleeving was all done at WR in the UK. Work sent out by the MO store would not be WR sleeving unless they sent it back to WR. As I recall, they did have an assortment of good, bad, and ugly. No surprise that they might have had some bad and ugly.

That was exactly how it was done.......guns were sent to the UK for sleeving and any other major work. There was an in house smith that could do some minor things (but, in my opinion, not that well). Simon was in house in Springfield every few months...it was totally his operation and, as I understand it, mostly his money. One of the big problems, again from my prospective, is that they allowed their junk to be picked up cheap and resold on the internet by a gent who was sometimes less than honest. He often referenced WRA and their smith in his auction descriptions. I always felt that that reflected poorly on what could have generally been a quality operation.

Last edited by Bob Blair; 08/23/07 02:40 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Let me try this in English. The WR Missouri store sent guns to a sleever that was NOT WR in England, the Clodes, or anyone associated with either. I saw guns and invoices at another sleever with paperwork from WR in Missouri and some of the finished product before being shipped back and they were horrible.

That is NOT to say that some of the work done BY WR IN ENGLAND was not great either, which is what I tried to say in my earliest post on the subject.

Sidelock
Sidelock

E330 - We agree, only I don't know about the other firm in the UK doing work for them. Could have been that SC was using Springfield as a junk outlet - although I don't remember seeing much that was really horrible on the shelves there. Maybe I just don't remember as I wasn't much interested in junk.

Sidelock
Sidelock

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976938037/Guns/Shotguns/Custom-Shotguns/PURDEY_PIGEON_12_GAUGE_SXS.htm

Seems she still is on the market...without mention of the hidden barrel sleeving.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
http://www.gunsamerica.com/976938037/Guns/Shotguns/Custom-Shotguns/PURDEY_PIGEON_12_GAUGE_SXS.htm

Seems she still is on the market...without mention of the hidden barrel sleeving.

Do what? That's not the same gun as the Steve Barnett gun. The Barnett gun had a checkered butt and was restocked. It was a 2 1/2" game gun without side clips, not a heavy proof pigeon gun with side clips and third fastener.

Maybe I'm missing something, but that's not the same gun.

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a different gun....I guess I'd had been drinking Lowells mOOn shine when I ran across it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well pass the Mason jar then!

Curl

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.