June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (fuhrmann, OldMaineWoodsman), 299 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,615
Posts547,015
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Erik330
Chicago, what do old west Michigan grouse hunters call ruffed grouse?
"DAMN SCARCE"

Last edited by dblfever; 08/23/07 10:49 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

cluck, cluck -- no birds here in Wisconsin - cluck, cluck You may want to consider one of those other places. There is very little land here that is not paved. cluck, cluck Please don't call me that weekend. I will be at work. wink, wink, or maybe church

Good luck.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

I went grouse hunting a few times, after walking up and down mountains and chasing a handfull of running birds in some of the nastiest cover i ever saw. I think they should survive, especaily without me hunting them.
Ridding on a nice gaited horse seeing a classy bird dog standing on point. With a covey of well-mannered (sit tight) bob whites is too enjoyable.
I can't wait for Thanksgiving.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dale:

That kind of hunting is becoming much more appealing as I get older. I have already stopped much of my brush busting and now concentrate on walking old logging roads. Perhaps we will be talking face to face someday.

Shoot straight.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Chicago Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dale/Tom: I saw an article awhile back about a fellow who hunted grouse on horseback with his dog. They worked back roads, and it sure seemed like a nice way to go. Easy to carry water, food and of course the daily grouse and woodcock. Now if the horse doesn't spook when the deer runs by we are all set.

We already have too many folks out 'hunting' while sitting on their arses - granted, their ATVs are noisier than horses, and smell a bit worse, but both make a mess of the trails.

Personally, I prefer hunters who walk the grouse woods on their own hind legs.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com

Here in Washington the opening day for grouse is Sept. 1st. Two weeks ago I was scouting and found close to a dozen blues in the "neighborhood". This one sat for a portait, let's see if I can post it...

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee195/Roper1952/bigblue.jpg

Golly, it worked!

Anywhooo, sorry you fellahs have to wait 'till mid month...I'll be thinking of Ya'll on Saturday morning...

Last edited by Rick Lewis; 08/28/07 12:28 AM.

Originally Posted By: Dave M.
No birds in Michigan period, go to Wisconsin. :-)

No birds here in Wisconsin, suggest you find another location!

Ruffed grouse are virtually extinct in the Upper Midwest. The only remaining breeding populations are in Canada and New England. I urge all grouse hunters to head northeast if they want to get the last few ruffs before they're gone.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Chicago Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rick: Nice looking bird and it looks like you need to be a billy goat to get to them - true?

Roy and Jack: With grouse being extinct in the upper midwest, do you all have your gun collections up for sale on the cheap? Being closer to the Northeast I will probably have more use for them.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.