["Mr. George I get your point...Sorry but I don't agree with it being normal practice of the day."...hoJo]

Absolutely right. But not because the times weren't different. Anyone who has actually had a lot of experience hunting wild quail with bird dogs knows you never hardly get the chance to shoot one on the ground because you never see them.

With the set out quail most people are used to today, sure you can always see them on the ground because they do not know how to hide and they do not have the camouflage wild birds do.

Wild birds on the other hand have adapted by local evolution to match the local ground cover. That's why you might never find one lying on open forest floor without a dog. Think Woodcock.

In addition, while you might see a covey of wild birds cross the road while driving, you won't ever see them in the cover when the dogs are around. They blend in perfectly and they hide.

So, shooting wild birds on the ground didn't happen much because of lack of opportunity. I can remember only one occasion when I had the chance. I was dove hunting in a corn field the cows had been let in on and a covey fed out into the field and right past where I was standing.

When I moved they ran up a corn row and and I could have raked the whole covey. But it was Dove season and not Quail season...Geo

Of course I did learn something from my Grandfather's lesson, if that's what it was. If a bird is dumb enough to light in a tree next to me his feet most certainly are NOT on the ground!

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 03/11/19 02:47 PM. Reason: added final par.