Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Larry,
I have a spare striker and spring for the BSS. Why would I not carry the correct screw driver on a hunting trip, after going to the effort to procure that, and put in in the case with the gun?

If a Parker repro 28 brings the money they do because the originals bring a ton more, doesnt that validate the fact that collector demand is driving that market, not to mention, my point about same?

Best,
Ted

Do you carry the whole set of screwdrivers, Ted? You might have, for example, a tang screw work loose. Or another screw that isn't the same size as the one you need to replace the striker. If I'm on a trip, I always carry a spare gun. That way I don't need to carry an entire repair kit. With my A&N pair, my extra was a twin. And the same bushing tool and strikers worked for both. Real convenient.

People aren't buying Parker Repros to collect--unless maybe they're both NIB and in some sort of unusual configuration. They're buying them to shoot. If they were buying them to collect, they'd all remain in NIB condition. The originals are very collectible based on rarity. And a lot of people might hesitate to hunt with one because of what they cost. So those who buy Repro 28's recognize two things: They're not rare (about 10x more of them made than BSS Sidelock 20's), and they're not so pricey that you have the same concern if you bust brush for grouse and woodcock with one. I've done that with mine, and I have several friends who do the same.