June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 339 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,614
Posts547,006
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#53231 08/22/07 11:53 AM
Chicago Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Where will all you Grouse hunters be on September 15th?

Myself I have mixed emotions of where in Michigan to hunt. I thought of seeking permission to hunt on the grounds of my youth, the area still holds some birds, but I believe I will go back to the area south of Marquette where I lived so many years. The U.P. beckons in a way only those who have lived there probably understand.

I go forth on this date not so much because the hunting is good, but out of pent up desire to be in the woods with dogs and gun again. The air does not yet have that crisp fall scent, but knowing where some birds lay for later in the year is not a bad thing, and the memories are always there.

As the day approaches I have been getting prepared: trying to work the dogs as much possible in this years brutal heat; purchased two mixed flats of RST paper hull shells; been bugging the Smith to get my new gun finished; checked boots to make sure soles ok; checked gear to see what additions needed; and I have been reading Burton Spiller to properly set the mood.

Where ever you all venture on your opening day enjoy.

Chicago Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

No birds in the UP. Just ticks and wolves now. Go to Minnesota.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No birds in Michigan period, go to Wisconsin. :-)

Chicago Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Such a valiant effort to deter but one hunter, and Erik you don't appear to live in Michigan. http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/images/icons/default/grin.gif
grin As a side note if you cant find birds in the U.P. you are not looking in the right places.http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/images/icons/default/laugh.gif
laugh

Sidelock
Sidelock

I grew up in Michigan and have hunted grouse and woodcock in Michigan to no avail 20-30 days/season every year. It's too bad that there are no birds but the memories are important.

You being a FIB and all, you should not be calling my credentials into question. It was bad enough to have to put up with Illinois drivers in Michigan when there were fewer of you.

I just know that you'd be a lot happier in Minnesota or Wisconsin.

Last edited by Erik330; 08/22/07 07:05 PM.

There are no grouse in Minnesota. Drought dried up their little skins, and flooding has now washed their little corpses away. The smart grouse hunters are all heading for Canada, or Maine or somewhere, and only us peasants are left to wander forlorn in the lifeless coverts, behind our puzzled dogs. Oh, sure, I'll carry the little Bernardelli 20ga., just for something to do with my hands. But whether I'll even bother to load it is anyone's guess.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah Grousemas, which falls on Sept. 15th this year. As always I'll be in square miles of knee-high brome grass wishing I had binoculars to watch the pointers as they interact with young Prairie Chickens. This year it's time to finally blood the Bayard 16 bore.

It is always a ........wait a minute. You guys aren't suggesting that the only "Grouse" that is hunted is a Ruff are you? You wouldn't do that, would you? Nah, you all would rather hunt blues and sharpies and chickens and sage hens and all the rest, wouldn't you?

Last edited by steve voss; 08/22/07 08:31 PM.
Chicago Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Steve: My thoughts were on the ruffs, but a sharptail grouse, or Prairie Chicken as people in the plains states call them is certainly a good way to spend September 15th. What do you folks call true Prairie Chickens?

Erik:
I grew up in Grand Rapids, Michigan and hunted grouse in the Manistee National Forest. I left for awhile and then lived in Michigan again from 1981 to 1992 in both Traverse Ciy and Marquette. Unfortunately, I now find myself back in Illinois. Funny how there are never any grouse anywhere in the United States.

For the life of me I can not figure out how to add the smiley faces?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Opening day is overrated. 'Skeeters you can put a saddle on, and 1 qt. capacity ticks, to go along with birds that are mostly invisible in the cabbage, and dogs working in the heat. Good chance I'll be in the boat that day, surveying the changing colors along the shores of one of the Apostle islands. I have had a wonderful run of good weather over the years right around grouse opener, there just doesn't seem to be much difference between the warm and cold fronts on lake Superior during that part of the month, making things pleasant. The bugs also seem to be on vacation in that part of the world, at that time, as well.
I'll report exactly where the birds aren't, here in Minnesota, one month or so later. The bird counts, pheasant and grouse, sound promising.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

After reading this and knowning the few non-hunted quail I have left, glad I started taking-up ducks.
My three Labs and I can always find some action if wanted.
Nice traditions with all the trappings in fowling here in the flyways.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.