My friend and hunting partner introduced me to wingshooting. Through some hard times he guided on a large NYS preserve. Conservatively, he killed 10k phez. His gun was a 1300 Win XTR slug gun with 24" bbl and rifle sights.

He averaged well over 70% through all the years we hunted together. Truthfully, it was closer to 80%, and he did not pick his shots or worry about his kill % as do some folks. Witnessed too many kills at what I still consider "ridiculous" distances to recount. He used factory #7.5 trap loads almost exclusively. He'd call his shots, eg. "head shot", and was nearly always right. I know this b/c I cleaned birds. He'd even tell me I hadn't killed a bird we both fired at. Most always he was right about that too, b/c I usually used B&P small #6s shot size. Again, I was the one cleaning birds.

One occasion he forgot to bring shells and I had a box of fiber wad high-brass RP in #7.5s. That was the only time I saw him have trouble killing stuff.

Near the end of our times at the place I'd improved to the point a 16 ga M-12 "full" was useful in my hands. One day, after killing stuff out to and beyond 50 yds with B&P #5s, he said "nice shooting Pasty" (his term of endearment). To this day, that is the most meaningful compliment I've ever received.