Originally Posted By: Stan
That's what they say, but there's no accounting for what some people will do to try and catch a really big bass. He went by boat, I do know that much.

I have fished in the mouth of one of the creeks, Steele Creek, that flows out of SRS, but never been very far up in there. Security is waaaay tougher now than it was back in the 60s and 70s. I have been tied up at the mouth of the Lower Three Runs fishing for big rockfish and seen Wackenhut Security riding four wheelers along the riverbank. Nobody sneaks in there anymore I don't think.

SRH

There isn't much chance of paddling, much less motoring up Steel Creek through the swamp. And it would be a long trip.

I worked there in the late 80s and 90s. My field crews were regularly seen jumping fences and hiking along roads within the SRS where we had all the security clearances. Various do-gooders would then race to the security posts to report them and dogs, helicopters, you name it were then scrambled very time although they knew damn well who it was.

Not sure what they were being so secure about - realistically, I'm not sure there was that much at risk, but it was a great place to do field work since no one messed with our experimental gear in the timber and clearcuts and the USFS was user helpful instead of mostly obstructive as is often the case in other USFS experience I've had.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]