As a young guy in the 60's I just hoped I could amass a small collection of .22 RF pump rifles. I had no dreams of centerfire guns as they were beyond my budget back then. Over a number of years I gathered together a variety of pump .22's, with most being Remington Model 12 variations. I was pretty happy with the little .22 pumps.
Then I got into Marlin lever action repeaters of the very early variety. Mostly pre WWI, with a few in the post WWI era. I amassed a collection that covered every model, caliber, and feature I could get my hands on. Then I realized I did not have an example of a Marlin single shot rifle. The Ballard.
I found a Marlin Ballard at a local gun show, and was intrigued with the design. Soon I began searching for other models, and before I knew it I was selling my large collection of lever action repeaters and replacing them with Marlin Ballard rifles.
I have some Remington Rolling Blocks, and Hepburns. Also a few others from various makers, but the single shots are my true focus, and especially Marlin Ballards.