Re: Sights (albeit a bit off-topic, haha) -

Although it doesn't come on and off very quickly, I really like the return-to-zero scope arrangement on the Valmet 412. Mine wears a 1-4x Leupold (though the .30-06 is a little better at taking advantage of that scope than a .30-30 would be). For wingshooting with it, though, I usually just install the double 12 or 20ga barrels instead. I really like the gun, but I think the iron sights on the combination barrels are just really terrible; huge and imprecise.

On my Baikal Sever, I removed the factory rear sight and cut a dovetail right at the back of the rib over the chambers, and installed a Williams screw-out aperture in it (just the little windage-adjustable piece that is standard on many of their sights; the front sight adjusts for elevation just like an AK-47 pin). It works well with the factory front sight. For most hunting tasks, I leave a medium aperture screwed in. For wingshooting, I remove the aperture and use the threaded piece as a ghost ring, which works really well (at least until I go to put the aperture back in and realize I've lost it somewhere lol). Maybe works even better than a mid-bead does for me. I'd have liked to use one of the Meritt adjustable apertures, but they're just too big to not interfere with closing the gun up. I had to remove ~0.003 from one side of the regular hunting aperture to keep it from kissing with the gun closed up as it was. Very close fit.

Last edited by Mr. Polecat; 04/07/18 09:34 PM.