Well, I certainly don't want to smash the wood to bits, it's far too nice looking a piece of wood for that. This was a significant problem with the Savage 24s, too (which is why my crappy truck & tractor gun, a .30-30/20ga, has a wad of electrical tape wrapped 'round the wrist, heh). But it also cost beer money and was a "junk gun" to begin with, so....

The vast vast majority of my shotgunning involves clays with wimpy target loads. Then each year there's probably two dozen rounds of #4 heavy game loads killing squirrels for the pot and maybe a turkey (though I don't hardly like to eat them enough to have to bother with cleaning them up), a round or two of #5 bismuth, and maybe one slug every 2-3 years (outside of steel-ringing funtime).

I also like to load a 00 buckshot into a .30-30 case (it's oversize, but trims a ring like when loading a C&B revolver), over .7cc of Unique with a tuft of dacron to keep the powder back at the primer for consistency. Shoots about like a .22, but quieter and maybe not quite as far before dropping off, and is extremely accurate through that old Savage 24. I have to wonder if that would lead to squibs in a 28" barrel, though. Surely not, I guess, and I always look down the bore religiously anyway, just in case....