June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, Hammergun, SKB, ithaca1, David Williamson), 314 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,489
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's an article that might help you out, Lloyd.

http://www.bear-hunting.com/2014/5/bear-grease-101

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I only shoot what I'm going to eat and for a long time I just put aside the idea of black bear hunting because I had never tasted it. This past September at my clubs cookout one of the members brought some bear he had taken in Canada. Just grilled, tasted great. So maybe it's on the bucket list now.

I have been told that spring bear do not taste very good having lived off their own fat all winter. Fall bear is better having fattened up on nuts, berries and whatever else. I have also been told to only eat bear taken far from humanity or any garbage dump. This was told to me by a buddy that was once posted at a dump by a guide. He witnessed bears feasting on used Pampers....

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Did it taste like chicken ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe true red lead is a insoluble oxide of lead. We used Red Lead paint by the buckets back in the day when I worked in the process heater business. Poison of course.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Red lead was a combination of two lead oxides. As Miller stated, it was used in machine shops as a cutting or dead center lube, and it was also used in thread sealants and as a pigment in paint and primers. Red lead was also used to mark steel before blue marking dyes were available. White lead was another form of lead also used as a paint pigment, and both were sometimes used in early engines as gasket sealants with soft copper head gaskets.

It is true that lard based cutting lubes will turn rancid in a short time, especially in warm weather. But they still use them today, and add a biocide to keep bacteria from growing in them. It doesn't always work so well, and the smell of rancid animal fat based soluble oil is pretty nasty. It soaks into your skin and is hard to wash the smell off. It also has the bad property of turning the insulation on electrical wiring on CNC machine equipment very brittle, which is why I learned to hate it... along with the disgusting smell. Sulphur alone is a good cutting lubricant, and it has anti-bacterial properties which is a reason it was mixed with lard to make sulphur-lard cutting oil.

None of this tastes anything like bear meat, but it is relevant for Lloyd who is considering using lard for flintlock patch lube. I think I will stick with my Thompson Center Natural Lube 1000 Bore Butter. It works great, and has a pleasing anise oil smell that doesn't seem to spook deer or other animals. Now, I'll bet fresh eggs or walleye fried in fresh bear lard would be interesting occasionally, although not so heart-healthy.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We used lard oil for our industrial polishing oil and never found a better product. When it is sold as a machining oil it tends to be expensive. But the oil industry uses it as an additive to their products and it is much cheaper when bought for the petro industry. I find that if you polish the inside of a barrel using it mirror finish comes easy. No cross hatch marks or light groves just shine.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doesn't most lard oil, today, come from hogs?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan;
As far as I know lard oil has always come from "Hogs". When another oil or grease was used it was generally specified, as Bear Grease or Sperm oil etc.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can tell you that whenever we shot a bear, we had specific directions from my grandmother that she wanted the fat to render into lard for all her pastry making. She said it was the absolute best for that. She got her wish, cause we knew there would be pies, cookies and donuts forthcoming!

We often times made sausage out of the bear meat, but did corn some bear brisket as an experiment and it was excellent! From then on when we got a bear we'd make some corned bear brisket along with the sausage.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Did it taste like chicken ?

Everything in TenEEseee tastes like chicKen donUt???

Last edited by Tamid; 03/06/18 10:21 PM.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.