Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This 10 gauge , fairly high grade Claybrough Bros. gun is very interesting. My master gunsmith friend, Steven Hutton, says that he has never seen it on a Damascus barreled gun and it is very rare on English guns, in general.
This gun falls into the time that Claybrough Bros. had a store in San Francisco. It is my thinking that it was built for this market and sent to them for sale.
Has anyone seen the same affect on another Claybrough gun?
Would one be close to think that muzzle engraving indicated a higher grade of gun?
Anyone seen muzzle engraving, other than gold inlay on Continental guns, and especially on Damascus barrels?
I apologize for being so full of it tonight.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone have an opinion of the muzzle engraving on this Damascus gun???I value your thoughts and anecdotes.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What gun? I must be missing something.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

BrentD:
It is the Clabrough Bros. gun that I recently acquired and wrote of in the first post of this thread.
Pics not available as yet.
Best,
John.

775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

What kind of engraving John? My Clabrough has muzzle engraving....it is just a simple pattern or band that matches the breech end. It too is a damascus 10ga...thought to be from around 1880 and of nearly their "best" work.

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

775:
That is the same as on this gun.
I did buy the California Makers book that had Clabrough info in it, but loaned it out never to see it again.:} I seem to remember that a Clabrough gun won the Concourse of Elegance some years ago. This gun is certainly not of that quality but it is not a dog either. Seems to be a relatively high grade.
Not having seen more than three or four, I was intrigued to learn if the engraving was normal on their guns and at what grade they put it on. When Steven Hutton mentioned that it was seen very rarely on English Damascus guns, I was further intrigued.
Best,
John

John:

I have 3 JP.Clabrough 12 bore guns. Two are hammer Damascus and one is hammeless steel. none of tham have engraving on the barrels, but all are fully engraved on the action.
I think thay are prety cool.
Casey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lawrence Shelton, author of "California Gunsmiths 1846 - 1900" has an extensive collection of Clabrough guns, and did a nice exhibit at one of the Gold Medal Concourse events in Calif. While the book mentions two different guns "engraved and inlaid with gold and platinum", neither is illustrated in a manner that shows engraving at the muzzle.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, here is the skinny on this gun.
Steve Hutton kindly went to the dealer with me this afternoon to examine the gun.He pointed out to me that it had been totally and very professionally refurbished. He found evidence that I had not seen. I thought that I had a very good eye for that kind of work.
The one and only major fault was the hinge pin. When examining it with a powerful glass, he found that it had been worked well, but not to his satisfaction. It would have to be replaced at some unknown time, if the gun were shot.
I made the decision to pass on it. It is beautiful and a very high grade, but
Best,
John

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.