When the young country doctor that built my house married, in 1874, he built this house. First year taxes were paid was 1875. They evidently planted the yard full of red oaks that year, because in 1998 the last one died, from drought. All the others had been pithy or rotten in the heart, but that last one wasn't. I had it cut down, learned it was solid to the first year growth ring, counted the rings, which placed it being planted at about the time the house was built, and decided to preserve as much of it as I could in furniture. I took a 16+ ft. log to a friend with a WoodMizer sawmill and he sawed 840 bd./ft. of boards out of it, and kiln dried them for me on site. Many of the boards checked, as buzz described, and there was much waste, but I had the best of them built into a 4' X 12' dining room table and sideboard buffet. My family, and friends, gather 'round it several times a year to feast and fellowship.

It really is special to have furniture that was built from a tree that was planted by the man that had the house built, Dr. W. J. Herrington. RIP

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.