OK.

We all know when enjoying old guns:

No shooting high pressure modern 2 3/4" shells in old 2 1/2" guns with sharp forcing cones.

Should you want to shoot modern CPI M shells, get the gun proofed, or visit our friends at RST.

We also know that when we buy a gun, we do not know what repairs have been done.

We also know that when we borrow a gun, that we assume if the gun is safe for the owner to shoot, it is safe for us.

Sadly, in this case, all the fail safes, failed.

It was an old gun, not freshly proved, shooting modern high pressure loads in a short chambered gun (Damascus barrels are really not a factor) .

The gun may have been repaired to reattach the part of the rib with the 3rd fastner. The hole for the attaching screw may have gone too deep and reduced the chamber MWT so small as to create a failure point.

FINE

No one was hurt, the gun is a total loss. This discussion is not about the weakness of Damascus, it is about everyone looking out for each other.

At any point, someone could have said, I'll just shoot low pressure RSTs, or this is a black powder gun, or it's 2 1/2" chambered, or whatever.

It is upon every shooter of vintage guns to look out for each other.

I like my eye sight and fingers. I'll look out for yours as well as I'd like you to look out for mine.

That is about the strongest reply I have ever made. I saw the gun. I know the participants. No one was hurt. Let this be a lesson learned.

Can we agree?

Heck I just bought a Damascus gun, and a flat of RST 9s to shoot through it.

Joe Norcom
President of the Carolina Vintagers (52 strong)