Richard, I have done a lot of research on shotgun handling, particularly, quantification thereof. I am working on a similar project, except a SXS sporting clays gun. I'll offer to share theories and learnings if you are so inclined.

Research tells me that handling fit should be thought of much like stock fit. The dimensions of handling are weight, balance (teeter-totter point), unmounted swing effort and mounted swing effort. We have weight. We need the length in inches from the teeter-totter point to the (front) trigger. I can SWAG a unmounted swing effort from the data base and calculate a SWAG mounted swing effort. If you have access to a typical Brit game gun you can feel the handling of a profile of about: 6 1/2# weight, 4 1/2" balance point to trigger, 1.45 unmounted and 6.4 mounted. A M-94 Winchester carbine is a fair surrogate for a game gun. If you don't have access to either of those, describe a gun you do have and I'll SWAG it.

2-p gave good info on weight change. With original balance, we can calculate new balance and new swings for various proposed weight and weight location changes. BTW, balance is not some magic number. It is a characteristic of each gun and can be changed by weight change or weight location change. The number should be what you as an individual shooter like/shoot well.

If you think this is helpful, post back.

DDA

Last edited by Rocketman; 05/28/17 12:04 AM.