Keith;
The engraving you describe does sound very E'ish. As noted above I do have two G grade guns with sear adjustment screws, one in the 20K range & the other 29K.
An FE @ #38,025 does not have the sear adjusters but has nickel plated triggers.It does have chain damascus barrels with an E stamped on them though the rest of the gun is pure F. It is my understanding that originally all grades had the sear adjusters but at some point they were dropped on all grades below an E. Not sure if any H's ever had them or not, none of mine do. My lowest no'd H however is in the mid 40K range.
The "Late" H grade I mentioned is a 6˝ lb gun. It has a closer firing pin spacing than my other 12's but bar width is the same. My one & only 16 has the XX frame but still weighs 6 3/4lb. It has a narrower bar than any of my 12's, so while admitting not truly enough data I had sorta assumed the XX stamping represented this narrower bar on the frame. Firing pin spacing as well as width & height of the standing breech varied according to the weight of the barrels fitted.
When you refer to the small frame 12's are you meaning the size of the standing breech or also including the bar width? I do not have one but have heard of some 12's with XX frames.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra