My first SxS was a 20ga. Merkel 47E circa mid 90's (before the big price jack) from GSI. They offered a very long warranty with a German gunsmith on site. Seemed like a great value to me, so I bought one.

The configuration error was my fault. I thought the gun should have a PG and SST at the time, but I've since learned differently.

About the third time out, the bastard doubled on me and gave me the flinches for weeks after. The problem is that if the trigger selector, which is on the trigger itself, is centered the trigger sits on both sears. The German gunsmith confirmed this. His exact words "Ja, dey do dat".

The spring on the detent is none too strong, so the selector can indeed end up in the center instead of being properly set. They offered to fix that, but I just kept an eye on it instead until a local Germanophile offered to buy it.

It is still tight to this day, very tight. The barrel polish and blue is just stunning. It did go back for service at one point, and the only thing the new owner complains about is the floor plate screw now has a habit of backing itself out.

I'd buy a double trigger model with a straight stock should one present itself.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble