June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (j7l2, earlyriser), 398 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,573
Posts546,474
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan you hit it with a stray pellet....spreader load smeder load. crazy

I was patterning an extremely tight shooting turkey gun at 40 yards and had a can of spray paint lying on the ground a good 10 yards to the side of the target. I had probably made 10 or 15 shots when all of the sudden a stray pellet hit the can and let all my paint out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't confuse him with facts, jOe. If you haven't ever seen it, it's hard to believe ..... but, it happens. All the time.
SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with Ted on this one. I don't use spreader loads, just in case. 25 years ago a dog caught a pellet in the lung on a hunt I was on from another hunter, you know the result. I didn't touch my shotgun to hunt or shoot clays for almost a year.
Facts about spreaders can be debated forever, but once you witness such a thing you NEVER forget. If anything, it has made me overly cautious around dogs, if that's possible. After all these years, I can still see that terrible moment.
Karl

Last edited by Karl Graebner; 03/12/17 04:01 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
That "Let'em Get Outta Ways" only works when you're in open terrain.
there are many, many situations where one simply does not have that option.

For instance . . . most grouse and woodcock hunting. Someone once said that especially for woodcock, no choke is often more than you need. Of course you always need to pattern to see what your particular choke/load combination will produce. But going by "the book" on patterns, cylinder should give you a 70% pattern at 25 yards. I've shot a whole lot of woodcock, but darned few further away than 25 yards. And a bunch a whole lot closer.

Last edited by L. Brown; 03/12/17 04:31 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Don't confuse him with facts, jOe. If you haven't ever seen it, it's hard to believe ..... but, it happens. All the time.
SRH

Oh I can buy the "stray pellet" theory. Thing is, the incident of which I speak featured 7-9 of them. I would like to know precisely what happened that day, but, neither of us could see the black and tan setter, or, the grouse, until he had about 20 feet of elevation, out of some very dense cover. The dog could have been on point with the bird pinned between him and us. It was not uncommon for that dog to point birds 20-30 yards away in dense cover.

Did the load strike a tree or branch shortly out of the muzzle? Was there a problem with the load itself? The angle of the shot taken would have seemed to preclude anything on ground level being hit, but, there you have it.
Facts were hard to come by, in hindsight.

The actual facts that were, and, are today available are pretty much limited to a spreader in 16 gauge was used, and a dog was struck.
Once was enough for me. I own no spreaders at this point, but, I have some guns with little or no choke in them.

No issues with dogs or people taking pellets since, which, is a good thing.

Larry, I haven't shot many woodcock at 25 yards, either. Getting to be a pretty small target past that.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted/Karl:

I'd never heard that about spreader loads, but it's good to know.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 03/12/17 10:34 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

And, as far as our common ground ..... Hey! we both like Perazzis! wink SRH

some would call that meager but WTF do they know? cool

have another day
Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

Larry, I haven't shot many woodcock at 25 yards, either. Getting to be a pretty small target past that.

Best,
Ted

They do look pretty darned small further out than that, for sure. Likely worse with my aging eyesight. Young guy like you, Ted . . . you can't use that excuse . . . yet. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Karl Graebner
I'm with Ted on this one. I don't use spreader loads, just in case. 25 years ago a dog caught a pellet in the lung on a hunt I was on from another hunter, you know the result. I didn't touch my shotgun to hunt or shoot clays for almost a year.
Facts about spreaders can be debated forever, but once you witness such a thing you NEVER forget. If anything, it has made me overly cautious around dogs, if that's possible. After all these years, I can still see that terrible moment.
Karl

Oh my God it's a wonder you survived...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
SRH

Oh I can buy the "stray pellet" theory. Thing is, the incident of which I speak featured 7-9 of them. I would like to know precisely what happened that day, but, neither of us could see the black and tan setter, or, the grouse, until he had about 20 feet of elevation, out of some very dense cover. The dog could have been on point with the bird pinned between him and us. It was not uncommon for that dog to point birds 20-30 yards away in dense cover.

Did the load strike a tree or branch shortly out of the muzzle? Was there a problem with the load itself? The angle of the shot taken would have seemed to preclude anything on ground level being hit, but, there you have it.
Facts were hard to come by, in hindsight.

The actual facts that were, and, are today available are pretty much limited to a spreader in 16 gauge was used, and a dog was struck.
Once was enough for me. I own no spreaders at this point, but, I have some guns with little or no choke in them.

No issues with dogs or people taking pellets since, which, is a good thing.

Best,
Ted

I don't use spreader loads nor do I ever figure I will....I've never been involved in a hunting accident but I do know when any accident happens the parties at fault are all looking for a way out.

I was quail hunting with a group of hunters and as one of them approached the pointing dog he had his gun pointed right at the dog....I suggested he might do better if he raised his gun up over the dogs but he went right back to doing it. The owner of the dogs/father in law to the man never said a word to him. I tried to watch and see if he had his safety off but couldn't ever tell but this guy could have easily shot the dog.

Bottom line....some idiots shouldn't be around guns or dogs.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.