June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (Wild Skies, SKB, DaveB, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 398 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,573
Posts546,478
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

The way I approach deciding whether or not to open chokes on a gun is like this: I ask myself first, am I really ...... I mean am I REALLY planning on keeping this gun for a long, long time? If I am, then I remind myself that if I take a loss at sale time, then it was worth the loss to have a gun that better suited me for many years of shooting. If I am not absolutely sure I will keep it, I don't mess with the chokes.

I've never opened the chokes on but 3 guns. One I regret. Two I don't. The one I regret is a 32" barreled 12 ga. AH Fox. It was full and full, and it is now M X M. It was not original anyway, I reasoned, as it had been restocked and re-case-hardened. That gun should have stayed F X F. My 31 1/2" MX8 was originally a trap gun, high stocked and full choked. I changed the buttstock and opened the chokes to M X M. Excellent move for me. Ten years or so later I have never regretted it. The other is a 30" barreled BSS that I use to compete in S X S events and to hunt ducks. The right barrel was .018" and the left was full. I had the left opened up to the same as the right, .018". Great for steel shot and it will crush any bird you'll ever see in a S X S sporting course.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 03/11/17 02:36 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=KY Jon]One reason I like doubles is that I can have two different chokes if I want them. But if I had to be limited to just one choke I could be happy with I/C or even Lt. Mod, but IM or full have less usefulness than more open chokes for my shooting needs. I think one proble with fixed chokes barrels are that too many of them are too tight for most people these days. That and pump guns are a tough sell these days because people who have never shot them think they are slow but I find I can pump faster than I can get back into target for a second or third shot. Not slow at all.

My newest acquisition is 26" barrel with fiexed IC choke and I would not want it any other way. This allows me to shoot best ammo HeviShot w/o fear of damage to gun steel. Life is grand. smirk

Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember my Great Grand Pappy who lived on the banks of the South Forked Deer River saying "Boy with tight choked gun jest lettem git out a right smart ways fore you shoot".

He hunted with one gun and one choke from the 1890s until the 1960s.

Last edited by postoak; 03/11/17 10:46 PM.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

modified....................

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
https://606f79f3c2431.site123.me/
Sidelock
Sidelock

That "Let'em Get Outta Ways" only works when you're in open terrain.
there are many, many situations where one simply does not have that option.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

If spreader loads are in the mix, then a full choked gun works for me. Non spreader (or spreader) load for waterfowl, spreader load for upland, particularly in a sixteen gauge. Spred'r hand loads are very easy to make, and components easy to acquire.

Last edited by dal; 03/12/17 10:28 AM.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I'll go back and read Ted's post where he blames spreader loads for the action of an idiot who pointed a shotgun at a dog and pulled the trigger. I must have missed something.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
I think I'll go back and read Ted's post where he blames spreader loads for the action of an idiot who pointed a shotgun at a dog and pulled the trigger. I must have missed something.

I'm pretty certain if he had pointed the gun AT the dog, it wouldn't have ended as well.

Go back and read it anyway. Spreader loads do spread.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

There can be, and are, extreme flyer pellets from every type of lead shotgun load made. It being a spreader load is not a requirement, nor is it a guarantee, that there will be extreme flyers. Anyone who does no know this has never done extensive patterning, or has just forgotten it. To blame a spreader load for a hunting dog getting hit by a stray pellet is ignoring the real problem ..... the person behind the trigger.

Thinking that a load of hundreds of tiny pellets will react in anywhere near a predictable pattern is a recipe for misplaced confidence. One just does not take chances with the safety of man's best friend by shooting anywhere near close by.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are no promises, but, the day it happened, as I played the whole thing back in my very angry-at-the-moment mind, I was pretty sure it wouldn't have happened with a conventional round in the customer's gun. It was a longish shot on a grouse on an even longer point, going directly away.

I may be wrong. But, I don't think I am.

What surprises me about the discussion, here, today, is you both missed the most important fact, or, at least didn't mention it.

I don't guide anymore.

Best,
Ted

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.