May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (graybeardtmm3, WJW), 264 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,561
Posts546,340
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was following this auction, and I wonder how many
people, here, were too.

Interesting 1903

I don't think I've ever seen a side mount quite like that before,
I've never seen one with that round stud on the top.
I e-mailed the seller and he said that " The stud does in fact push in. There is a flat spring
on the underside of the mount that the stud rests on."

Has anyone seen that before or have a rifle with that kind of a mount. I suppose I should copy the pictures and attach them to that great thread on sidemounts that was started a few years ago.

Any thoughts on the rifle as well?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice. I hope the buyer is a member and we can see some more detailed pics. Above average workmanship from what you can see. I like the reshaped tang.

John

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am interested in what bidders saw in the way of value that justified the price?

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LRF
I am interested in what bidders saw in the way of value that justified the price?

I asked the seller for more pictures, it is marked with the flaming bomb and NRA on the bottom.
But I don't know if the bidders knew that and how much that would drive up the price. There is always the hope that it could be linked to a well known custom gunmaker.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PhysDoc
Originally Posted By: LRF

I asked the seller for more pictures, it is marked with the flaming bomb and NRA on the bottom.
But I don't know if the bidders knew that and how much that would drive up the price. There is always the hope that it could be linked to a well known custom gunmaker.

Since the flaming bomb stamp is quite common on '03 rifle barrels, I still wonder if it would drive the price up? Seems like a pretty well used gun, and some less than perfect care during it's life. Maybe if the receiver sight, or scope were still there, but as it was the high price puzzles me also.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The overall workmanship, shaping and NRA connection were driving factors in my bidding. It was at the top of my allowance for it, but hopefully will be worth it. I have both a 150 & 125 Lyman 48 from Michael's estate that can fill the void if it is worthy of it. Condition looks rough, but hopefully will clean up, my major concern being the spot on the barrel. The rifle has what I call "character" and while not a pristine example, I too hope we can establish a connection to a maker.

I will get pictures up and posted when it gets here. The seller has been paid and has my C&R so I hope to have it in hand next week.

I currently have the ?/Sedgley I posted about earlier sitting on a table ready for the same. It was Springfield serial #228 and while the stock & front sight were Sedgley, the rest is questionable. Hopefully when I get those posted, we can learn more about it.

Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

From what you can tell in the pictures, the workmanship puts this in a class above the typical sporterized 03. If I would have seen it, Thaine may not have gotten it for the price he did. wink I think with the proper rear sight, and a little cleaning up it could be an attractive old rifle. The bolt is conspicuously polished, makes me wonder it it was replaced or maybe lost at some time and a new one installed by the seller.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hard to tell by the pics but it mite clean up nicely.
The way the fluteing in is shaped it looks to have a large palm swell for right handed shooter.
Wonder what's attached to the butt??? Hope it steel and not rubber!!!

Dan.

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As I mentioned earlier, I asked the seller for more pictures of
the rifle. The buttplate is smooth metal with a widow's peak on
top.

Anyone have any thoughts on the sidemount?

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.