CZ, did some looking for the video you mentioned but have a question for you. What is a DR model or would you happen to have the link handy? I found this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUXoNUzAyvk where about 7 min in they are inletting a action but then in the course of a second they go to a different completely inletted action.

If you take a look at the side view of the action I posted above, you can see a rectangular shape just under the tang. Also note at the bottom of the action where it isn't square but has a small radiused area. This creates a small point that needs to be set into the face of the stock. This leads me to think that the action has to be at the correct vertical height before it can go back.

This next pic is a oblique view of the action which shows the rectangular section a bit better.

This last pic shows the action butted up to the stock for what it's worth.

You also mention some articles by David Trevallion. Where bouts can they be found?

Craig, I like what I think you're saying about rolling the action back. Now just figure out how to do it. I was toying with the following idea. Use the tang pattern and position it where I am fairly certain it will end up. Start inletting it down to the correct depth. I was thinking that I could then start rolling the action back. Not sure if that's clear but it sort of jives with what appeared to be happening in the H&H video I posted. It would seem to me to be much easier if the face of the action was flat instead of having that little tip protruding.

Well back to video searches for now.

Kirk