June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, canvasback, 2 invisible), 311 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,575
Posts546,553
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

You don't have to be a professional race car driver to want to drive a Ferrari.

Sidelock
Sidelock

James,

I'm afraid I have been misunderstood on this whole thing. I never meant to imply that owning high quality guns and good shooting are mutually exclusive. In fact, I said just the opposite in a previous post. I love high quality guns, and wish I could own some, but I can state one thing for certain ..... if I ever did own a H & H Royal, a Woodward, or the like, and could not shoot it well, it would go down the road. If a man wants a fine gun, great ..... so do I. But, for goodness sakes, get one that fits you and that you can shoot well.

Not directed at you, James, but it would also seem, by the replies, that I have stepped on some toes.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 1cdog
You don't have to be a professional race car driver to want to drive a Ferrari.

True. I would like to own a bespoke Purdey, too. But is it sensible to buy that full race Ferarri, dress up in a racing fire suit, and enter races for years, come in last every time, but never take driving lessons or practice between races? I'm just trying to understand that mindset. It is obvious there are some here who do understand it, or at least identify with it.

Just so y'all don't get the wrong opinion of me, I never pull for the winners, just because they are proven winners. I normally pull for the underdog .......... who WANTS to win very badly, but just hasn't achieved it yet. I have great admiration for the shooter who does not shoot well, but who wants to badly enough to work hard at it. None for the guy who bitches about how hard the course is set, or how fast the birds are flying, but who never makes the effort to really improve.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

My wife bought me 8 laps at Atlanta Motor Speedway with the Richard Petty driving experience. I will never be good enough to drive NASCAR, but boy was it a rush. If I were able to drive NACAR, I'd come in last place every time just to enjoy the experience.... If I were able to handle and shoot a Purdey, I'd do it with a HUGE smile on my face just to know I was shooting a Purdey, even if I missed everything I shot at. You don't have to be good at something to enjoy it.

Last edited by Gt1900; 01/04/17 09:10 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad you enjoyed that, Gt1900, I would have, too. You didn't go buy a race car and fire suit, I don't suppose. Neither would I.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I had the money i would have.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I once shot Bob Matthews' Purdey at a S X S shoot. It was indeed magical in it's handling, and I broke every pair with it on that station ........... but I broke them all with my BSS, too.

My hat's off to anyone who can shoot their high dollar guns well. I've just not seen many that can. But then, there is probably a good reason. I only occasionally rub elbows with gents who can afford such guns. In my circle of clay shooting buddies there are Berettas, Valmets, a Kreighoff, a Ceasar Guerini and a Perazzi. Every one of those guns was purchased used except one. But, they all know what to do with them, if you know what I mean.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Boy! Has this topic veered off course!

Sidelock
Sidelock

It has indeed. I played a big part in that. My apologies to all.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

As I said before, I love my bespoke Inverness. I have gone through the classes in International Skeet, NSSA skeet, and NSCA sporting over the last 40 some years. I have shot guns that worked for me, in all cases. I am through with the money birds and now I shoot Parkers and British side by sides, including an outrageous Purdey hammer pigeon gun. I have no apologies for any of my guns and shoot most of them as well as the others. When I first owned the Purdey, I was physically unable to shoot, so turned it over to my shooting buddies. I couldn't believe how far over their heads they were shooting this gun. My great friend, Stan, is right on the money. We should strive to shoot high scores, regardless of any impediments in guns or finances.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.