Took this picture in the field yesterday:

I took this one in the basement tonight:

Molly retrieving a bob. That is my orange cap behind her, dropped as a mark for the downed bird.

I wish I had gotten more pictures of the dogs in action, pointing and so on. But the birds were very challenging. Sometimes they ran and the dogs were constantly relocating. Sometimes the dog would go on point and the birds would flush forty yards away from me. Hard to be the dog handler, gunner, and photographer when in pursuit of such ill mannered bobs.

Buddy hurt his knee and was sentenced to the crate for a month by the veterinarian. He had served about three weeks. The morning of the hunt this is what I found when I went to check on him. He did that on the maximum dose of doggy tranquilizers.

You can see the screw on the bottom tang is out of time:

The gun weighs six pounds, eight ounces. The 28" steel barrels are choked cylinder and 13/1000ths. The chambers have been lengthened to 2-3/4". I think the barrel blacking is original but the blacked barrel flats cause me doubt. The stock dimensions are 14 x 1-3/4 x 3 x 3/8 castoff. POW grip. My doublegun mentor Joe Wood (also my shooting student) tells me the nipple on the end of the POW grip would originally have been horn. It is now brass. The checkering is very fine and very good but pointed, not flat, so it has been recut. Good job of it. The wood has others mars and dents of course. The gun has side clips, ejectors, intercepting seers and cocking indicators.

Absolutely a wonderful gun. Mr. Lindner was a wizard.

I would sure appreciate an estimated date of manufacture, a decoding of the proof marks, anything at all. Thanks.

I'm leaving again in the morning for the birdlease. I can only half sleep the night before a quail hunt.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.