May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (SKB, MattH, mark, Southern Sport, Stanton Hillis, 1 invisible), 521 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,549
Posts546,210
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've put several thousand through a 1924 vintage Webley & Scott Model 400. Mostly 7/8 oz low pressure at targets; some 1 oz; now a few 1 1/16 oz British (Gamebore) hunting loads. Recently replaced the strikers. But, as noted above, I have no idea how much it had been shot before I bought it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vern: you are making good choices. Don't worry...shoot a lot...be happy...and have great and safe bird season smile

J.F. Kerman "Let's Get Going"

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it weighs just 6 lbs, your shoulder may break before the gun. I like 3/4oz reloads through my 8 lb Parker hammer gun with Damascus barrels - no recoil. It got shot three times a week at the club until I bought other SxS's. Good luck, and I wouldn't worry about anything breaking.

Last edited by Paul Harm; 11/12/16 12:27 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: vern21
I'm sure this has been covered before, but I could not find it. How much can one shoot a vintage double given the gun is in excellent shape and in proof? The loads used would be under 8000 psi. What is most prone to break? Thanks.

Jim

Top 3 vintage american doubles prone to crack the stock if u shoot a lot. Psi has little todo with it.

1. L C Smith
2. LC Smith
3. L.C. Smith

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now THAT, made me laugh!

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Old Joe

Top 3 vintage american doubles prone to crack the stock if u shoot a lot. Psi has little todo with it.

1. L C Smith
2. LC Smith
3. L.C. Smith

Yeah, that's true. But I still love'em...Geo

vern21 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys. At six pounds it is a pleasure to carry, but a couple of boxes of 1 oz loads make me remember my physics lessons. The 3/4 oz loads are easy on the shoulder.

Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've shot a pile of 1 oz loads from 6lb guns with no problems at all. Shot a bundle of them from a 6lb 20 ga Ithaca flues before I learned the model was prone to cracking the frame. They were for the most part the 2˝-1 loads so velocity a bit under 1200 fps. I've also shot 1oz loads from a 5lb 14oz Darne/Halifax with no discomfort at all. The old "Rule of Thumb" of gun weight = 96 times the shot weight is dead on for a 6lb gun for an ounce of shot. This is supposed to be good for steady shooting, i have used heavier loads on numerous occasions than this ration where only a few shots would be involved. I have fired some 20 ga 3" magnum loads of 1Ľoz from a 6Ľ lb gun. It wasn't that Flues, it was a gun chambered & proofed for them, a Richland 707. This gives a ratio of only 80:1. You knew the recoil was there & would would not have wanted to have shot a lot of them in real rapid succession but for hunting use when I was fairly heavily clothed they were not at all bothersome.
It did of course have new wood on it, the biggest danger in a lot of use to an old gun is the wood I believe.
The L C Smith is not the only gun which will crack stocks either, many will do so.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper

It did of course have new wood on it, the biggest danger in a lot of use to an old gun is the wood I believe.
The L C Smith is not the only gun which will crack stocks either, many will do so.

Piper I follow you for years here and respect agree with most of your writings but I believe that old wood danger is some thing come up by owners of Elsies and wrongly applyed with broad brush to all vintage guns. Kind of like misery loves company. I agree some box locks will get stock cracks from recoil or what ever but it is FACt that cracked stocks are the rule with LC rather than exception. You shoot sweet Elsie a lot with any thing but low recoil target type loads it's goimng to crack and not if but when. Many advise to glassbed the side plates and back of top tang to help with cracking. Yah right you got a classic vintage double gun and have to slobber its insides with modern epoxy. Or for hunting youd better not use what your buddy has in his parker , Fox or Ithica Nid. What a joke. The O.P asked which vintage guns are prone to problems when shot alot. Asked and answered for american doubles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Me and my shooting buddies shoot reguraly with vintage English guns. One has a 1909 Purdey and another has a 1880 Purdey hammer gun. I have another friend who shows up with something new about every week.
I and my bud's have had our break downs. My Atkin broke a cocking spring. It is an "Spring Opener" much like a Purdey.
Now that was an expensive repair.
Shooting low pressure loads work great and you should enjoy your gun while you can.

Mike Proctor
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.