June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ian Forrester, HalfaDouble), 455 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,589
Posts546,769
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is it possible that the Federal case neck was long enough to protrude into the forcing cone, squeezing and holding the bullet long enough so that excess pressure was produced before it was released?

How about the bullet being jammed into the forcing cone as the round was chambered,once again producing excess pressure on firing?

Measurements of the new Federal cases and bullets might be interesting, but might not show the same dimensions as the "problem" round.

The only other possibility that comes to mind is too much powder, or the wrong type.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Someone on the Accurate Reloading forum thought the throat might be too short and suggested checking it with a bullet seated base first?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Either the throat too short, the case neck too long, or a bullet profile not compatible with the throat sounds like the most likely cause to me.

A quick test with the new Federal ammo would be to simply chamber the rounds, note any unusual force needed to do so or close the bolt, and finally, note the effort needed to extract the un-fired rounds.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Will test and report back when the new rounds arrive.

The Remingtons were 250gr. round nose soft points, the Federals were 225gr. Trophy bondeds which are spitzers.

thanks,

Rob

Last edited by Recoil Rob; 10/22/16 10:02 PM.

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

vangulil,
Usually, if I'm checking for some interference, I find it easier to "smoke" the neck/bullet with a lighter or candle. This gives a better view of the areas of interference.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
vangulil,
Usually, if I'm checking for some interference, I find it easier to "smoke" the neck/bullet with a lighter or candle. This gives a better view of the areas of interference.
Mike

Sounds like an excellent idea. I have a situation myself where it should prove helpful.

Highly recommended for the OP.

Last edited by vangulil; 10/23/16 01:19 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

you can "smoke" a case with a Sharpie or Dry Erase marker if you don't have a candle.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
you can "smoke" a case with a Sharpie or Dry Erase marker if you don't have a candle.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd also consider checking the Rem's. I'd struggle with the confidence if I were to stick another Federal in, but chances are, the blow up was a one off. I'd think the replacement cartridges would be in spec.

Early on, there was a mention of a neck split on the good ones. Maybe take a careful look at the other necks and make reloading adjustments if needed. Just thoughts.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, one of the 40 Remington factory loads had a split neck.

Would a chamber cast be of any use?

- Errol Flynn
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.