June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, Jimmy W, PM, Marks_21, 1 invisible), 326 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,578
Posts546,610
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

AH Fox ejector snap on forends work well. Bobby

Last edited by bbman3; 09/16/16 07:05 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have both and have had no problems with either, but I think the Anson push just looks more classic.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

I dance with who brung me. I've got at least four different methods. I have an LC Smith that takes a tool (for me) to release the forend...a wheel, and a piece of dowel tapered down to lever the forend off is the tool.

They all work well...lever, wheel-lock, push-button, snap-off. Some are somewhat (IMO) unnecessarily complicated, for whatever reason. Seems it took a long time to figure out a relatively simple solution.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do like the release that Raimey posted. Since I mostly have L.C. Smith's, I like the Curtis type for-end. It seems to be a modified Anson style.

Genelang, I had the same tool for an Ideal grade. I finally got tired of using the dowel and gently filed the tip of the "J" spring. It now comes off by just using the roller release.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not knocking the Anson pushrod, but these look darn good to me too.

Circa 1875 John Dickson double rifle:

[/URL

Later Lancaster wristbreaker (note the later William Evans in the background w/the by then ubiquitous Anson):

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/16/16 10:41 PM.
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
I absolutely ABHOR a snap on in which the lug is engaged from the rear. This pushes the forend iron back against the knuckle of the gun & is actually pushing the barrels away from the breech. Just seems the wrong way to go to me & adds un-necessary friction to the hinge in opening & closing the gun. Best I recall the only gun I currently have with this type is a 16ga Baker Black Beauty.

The Nitro Special seems to function in this way, that is the bad news.

The good news is, it has functioned this way since 1937, with no ill effects, near as I can tell, the barrels are only going to move as far forward as the lock up system will allow them to (not much, the lever is well right of center) and there appears to be less resistance than those fancy self opener guns (hard closers) feature.

At age 55, I'm pretty sure I don't have the time to wear this one out. I might not have time to get it well broken in.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another not mentioned so far is the lever in the middle of the forearm of the Manufrance Ideal. It locks up very tight

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I think that one is similar to the lever on the German gun I mentioned, but, I don't know the technical name or patent. It wasn't going to come off with the lever closed. The wood didn't rattle around, either.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted;
I have over the past years shot several guns using the "J Spring" forend fastener. Some were perhaps a few thousandths off face, none really excessively so. That still doesn't prevent me from seeing the concept is just the wrong way to go.
As I stated the only one I currently own with this fastener is the Baker. The bolting on this Black Beauty is essentially identical with the Nitro Special. A wedge shaped bolt extending from the top lever swings into the rib extension from the side. An excellent system for holding the barrels shut & the Wedge is self compensating for bolt wear. This system however does "Absolutely" Nothing to keep the barrels on face, that is strictly left to the hinge pin. It just doesn't seem a matter of good design to accentuate the friction on the hinge joint every time the gun is opened & shut.
I will not that I have two guns, both over 100 years old which use a Deely type fastener & do not have bolt wear compensation, the lever always stops at center. Both are tight & on face.
The reason levers go left on compensating bolting is from the rubbing (Friction) wear in opening & shutting them. Anything which reduces the friction I deem as a plus, while anything which increases it I see as a definite minus. Thus my dislike of pulling the barrel & hinge joint together under spring pressure.
As I recall W H Baker was the inventor & patentee of this design & he referred to it as his compensating forend. Only real problem is it was compensating in the wrong direction.
It did keep the barrels from feeling loose when the gun was open, Big Deal.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I thot that I would amaze and astound you all with the Perazzi approach but then I decided that it was too much trouble and you wouldn't be able to appreciate anyway.

have another day
Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.