I remember the first run of these rifles. I spoke at the time with Don Allen as they were "clearing them out" and if I could get some others to go in as well he would give us a further substantial break on 3 rifles purchased together. He said there just wasn't a suitably sized market-place for the price they needed to charge and so were going to concentrate on centerfire's. While I remember this discussion well, I have a little trouble pulling out their pricing. However it seemed to me they were either listed at $1995 each or were clearing them out at that with a further discount (15% I think) if you bought 3. You didn't have any flexibility in upgrades or choice of wood as they were all base guns. I can't remember if Don was alive when the second offering came out but I always was curious why they felt the market had changed so much over a relatively short period of years. By the way, it wasn't such a bad drive for me to visit Dakota and I have regretted not running over to pick out the one with the best piece of wood (in my eyes) of those on hand...