I'm glad you're able and willing to share the story. What a nightmare.

Maybe for curiosity, the barrel, near the chamber and several pieces of the receiver can be rockwell hardness tested. Except for the bolt, those two things were containing the cartridge. One seems okay, the other sounds to have failed in a unique way, many bits and pieces.

If wanted, a few thousandths could be polished off some receiver samples if there was a worry that a case was giving a falsely high reading. Anyway, with just a ballpark idea of the receiver steel composition, there's a fair chance that the steel could be temperature cycled and annealed, to bring the receiver steel closer in characteristics to the barrel steel that seemed to have been okay.

It's a tough one. I wouldn't want to wreck the finish of a rare classic just to 'try it out'. Then too, why go through that on a project action, because there must have been a worry in the first place and it's still a question mark. Maybe just start with another action, but I suppose a project could be recreating a unique historical piece.

Glad you're okay.