June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (LRF, Little Creek, 2 invisible), 615 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,589
Posts546,768
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
A Darne is what Rube Goldberg shot.
JR

Could be, but, if you look at this very old dealers promo piece, Rube was busy taking first place in pigeon shoots all across Europe and in North Africa, in 1952, shooting a Darne.

The older I get, the more I seem to notice that when people imply something doesn't work, or work well, what they really mean is they can't make it work.

Gil,
I have to put a list together of do's and don'ts with a Darne. I have come to the conclusion, after seeing numerous guns, Darnes included, with broken toes and buttplates, that striking the butt stock is always a bad plan, inspite of what I wrote in The Double Gun Journal many years ago. I've had to do a bunch of simple gunsmithing over the years to Darne guns that somebody fell into a gumption trap with, and I'd just as soon not, to be honest with you.
A good example: The screw that goes into the very front of the front wood is NOT a wood screw, it threads into a metal insert that is threaded into the wood. If the screw seizes in the insert, and you keep turning it out, the threads in the wood for the insert are destroyed, and I have to glass bed it back in.
Bill, I will put the gun on a scale at work tonight, my home scales have all died and not been replaced. Heavy barreled guns were prized by the Bruchets when I was there, and I just missed a chance at an R11 pigeon gun, built on a slug gun frame, with a flat rib and R15 engraving, when I was there. God, it was gorgeous, and dated to about 1920. The Bruchets had restocked it, and done a superb job. I was simply out of money.
I will mention that the R10 12 gauge is not for sale at this time, as my son, age 9, gets first crack at it, per our friends instructions.
If he declines, in ten years or so, I'll let you know.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Ted,
You seem to be the Pied Piper of Darnes. They just keep showing up at your door in great condition. Gil

The French have some unique designs. Another example is O/U Bretton. By examining sample one might think it is a bit flimsy but the fact that it came in 9,3x74R is testimonial to action strength easily suitable to shotgun cartridge. Looking at French stuff is worthwhile and as with box of gourmet candy one is never sure what they will get.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
. ....as with box of gourmet candy one is never sure what they will get.

You tryin' to quote Forrest Gump?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
You seem to be the Pied Piper of Darnes. They just keep showing up at your door in great condition. Gil

The French have some unique designs. Another example is O/U Bretton. By examining sample one might think it is a bit flimsy but the fact that it came in 9,3x74R is testimonial to action strength easily suitable to shotgun cartridge. Looking at French stuff is worthwhile and as with box of gourmet candy one is never sure what they will get.

Yes but they also build 'traditional' break open shotguns that rival the best that the English can produce. That is if you're 'French' or 'worthy' enough for them to even consider building one for you.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Ted,

Yes but they also build 'traditional' break open shotguns that rival the best that the English can produce. That is if you're 'French' or 'worthy' enough for them to even consider building one for you.

From what I have seen, it isn't a "snooty" thing, it is just easier to do business where people are interested in your product, and speak a common language.

Most Darnes have sold in Europe, and in French colonies. They are known in other places, but, never caught on in those places. The average hunter here isn't all that interested in a double, of any type.
I have met, eaten, (and drank too much) with Richard Levi, the owner of G. Granger, in St. Etienne. He told me when I was ready, to come back and he would build a gun for me. But, he was uninterested in marketing or selling in the US. He had enough to keep himself, and two gun makers in his employ, busy for years to come.
The guys at Verney Carron seemed like they had the capability to make an impact here in the states, and while I see ads for the guns, I doubt they sell a whole lot here. They do sell military weapons in Europe (google "Flash-Ball" to see images of a startling, 44mm hand held double barreled canon) who knows, that may be the largest part of the business for them.
I don't think anyone building doubles of any sort is going to make a big splash in the US again. That time came, and, went.
It is over. We simply enjoy what is left.

Best,
Ted

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.