The ranges at which waterfowl are shot are longer than typical upland ranges. And waterfowl--at least of mallard size or larger--are bigger and tougher than any upland birds we shoot, with the possible exception of pheasants. Heavy loads of larger shot and quite a bit of choke are the solution . . . for those waterfowlers who are capable of taking advantage of those heavy loads and tight chokes.

O'Connor, in his "Shotgun Book", writes about a hunting companion who got good results on pheasants with 1 1/4 oz 4's through an IC choke. Jack patterned that load at 35 yards and said there were holes through which you could throw a cocker spaniel. Yet his friend did very well with it.

What I find to be O'Connor's best advice in that chapter: "Far fewer wounded birds would escape if pheasant hunters never shot at birds over 45 yards and seldom over 40 yards." In addition to having owned some good dogs and to have given them a lot of experience on wild pheasants, another factor that's worked to keep the number of cripples I've lost to a minimum is that I try to show restraint when it comes to long shots.