"Dan," I do not personally know of a commercial hammergun or gun made by Amoskeag, but perhaps another correspondent here may have greater insight regarding the same. If this company was involved, in accordance with my speculations above, then it would more likely have been as an assembler of imported parts and not as a manufacturer of the product. There was a lot of private label activity during this historical period involving arms and parts sourced abroad, which lasted well in to the next century.

The "Lindner & Co" gun seems to have led an unattractive, improvident and uncertain life. You are probably correct concerning the barrels being from another gun altogether. It would seem too that its offering is not in good faith, when it is increasingly obvious that extreme alterations have been performed to cobble the thing together for the purpose of selling the result to a gullible buyer. It is a shame to see an antique unfeelingly and recklessly destroyed in this fashion, as it should have been left alone and its remaining dignity left intact. Regardless, I have enjoyed the mystery, entertaining the possibilities and the research concerning the subject gun, and wish to thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Hopefully, someone will rescue the piece and place it over the proverbial fireplace mantel where it can reside in unmolested peace. I have great empathy for elder metal and wood, and for that forgotten sportsman with this his pride and joy afield sometime in an era now long past.

Regards,

Edwardian