June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (CJF, obsessed-with-doubles, Argo44, Jimmy W, mark, 1 invisible), 291 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,572
Posts546,457
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Look at that standing breech and how thick the corrosion is around the fences and Rockdoc is worried about buggered screws?

Someone took one of the finest shotguns built on this planet and turned it into tomato stake.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It looks like a fine shooter. Look down the barrels -if you can't see light shinning through the sides it's ok. 65 grs of 3F and 1oz of shot works just fine [ with fiber wads ]. It's your gun - do whatever you want to it: that's the fun of buying old guns. And yes, laminated Damascus is the strongest of all the Damascus steels.

Last edited by Paul Harm; 01/23/16 02:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Look at that action and how thick the corrosion is around the fences and Rockdoc is worried about buggered screws?

Someone took one of the finest shotguns built on this planet and turned it into tomato stake.

It's not untypical to have heavy corrosion around a ML's fences (and percussion nipples), that's where the corrosive detritus from the percussion caps is deposited when shooting. It's not something that'll necessarily make the gun unsafe. Interesting how my comment about buggered screws, taken out of a generic freshening-up-your-gun write-up I did 3 years ago, would be focused on here.

And God forbid someone would want to turn it from a tomato stake back into a useable shooter again. Holy Mary Mother of God, may the saint's preserve us!

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lagopus
I should have it fully checked out by someone who understands what they are looking at and go with their guidance. It may not be a write off. I see that the barrels have the Scott Trade Mark. Post the serial number and I can year date it for you. Lagopus.....

If someone can't tell what they are looking at from the pictures posted they might need to get their eyes checked.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just to clarify, "best" quality English c. 1830s-1840s MLs usually had Stub Twist. 1850s MLs usually had Laminated Steel or (less commonly) "English 2 Stripe" crolle Damascus. That Laminated Steel barrel material is however not the "3-Rod English Best Laminated Steel" that was the winner of the Birmingham Proof House Test Trial reported in 1891
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dnRL...ref=2&pli=1

More information here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1__gn...ref=2&pli=1

It should be noted that both the English and esp. the Belgians also referred to Twist barrels as "Laminated Steel".

Unfortunately, I did not have any Laminated Steel samples to include in the hopefully soon to be published tensile testing performed by METL in 2014, nor could I find any published or advertised tensile strength reports thereof.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the bores scrub up ok, the wall thicknesses are sufficient, the barrels ring; if the locks engage positively and crisply at half and full cock, and the triggers release the hammers cleanly; if the stock is solid and sound, I'd be happy shooting it.
Muzzles can be rod-worn to look paper thin but be fine just inches further down; fences can be quite badly corroded from priming compounds without affecting safety; platinum vent plugs were often peened shut by original owners who wanted more energy behind the charge, not venting out the side.

Look at that action and how thick the corrosion is around the fences and Rockdoc is worried about buggered screws?

One of the finest guns ever built?! I don't think so; good quality gun by a respected maker, but hardly one of the finest. Tomato stake? Pending some actual in-hand examination with appropriate tools by someone who actually knows what they're looking at, maybe a long way from it yet.

Last edited by cadet; 01/23/16 06:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: cadet
If the bores scrub up ok, the wall thicknesses are sufficient, the barrels ring; if the locks engage positively and crisply at half and full cock, and the triggers release the hammers cleanly; if the stock is solid and sound, I'd be happy shooting it.
Muzzles can be rod-worn to look paper thin but be fine just inches further down; fences can be quite badly corroded from priming compounds without affecting safety; platinum vent plugs were often peened shut by original owners who wanted more energy behind the charge, not venting out the side.

One of the finest guns ever built?! I don't think so; good quality gun by a respected maker, but hardly one of the finest. Tomato stake? Pending some actual in-hand examination with appropriate tools by someone who actually knows what they're looking at, maybe a long way from it yet.

A W. & C. Scott & Sons ONLY a respectable maker? You better think again but longer and harder this time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, W&C Scott is a respected - even renowned - maker, and while they were capable of making guns that would stand with any, there were more esteemed firms; nor is that gun - to reiterate (perhaps I was unclear?) - "one of the finest shotguns built on this planet" or even one of their finest; nor is it one of their plainest, or yet a tomato stake. Some hyperbole, perhaps?

I don't need to think again, thankyou.

Edit:
I just took a couple of photos to illustrate.
Condition aside, can you see a difference in quality?

Apologies to Bill for taking it off track. It's a grand old gun, and probably perfectly shootable.

Last edited by cadet; 01/23/16 11:24 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bill/Oregon

Cadet so what are you trying to show us ?

In your photo I see a gun that hasn't been abused, misused and has been taken care of.

What I don't see is a gun of quality higher than a W & C Scott. Fact is your hammers are quite lacking one is out of round and both lack nipple venting to the front. Are they replacements ?

Are your breach plugs vented or is it a latter cheaper version than the Scott that wasn't vented ?

Pardon my English...but If you can't see the bloody difference in abuse between the two you need to get your blooming vision checked.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know you're a bit of a Scott fanboi, and I have a Scott or two in my cabinet too, but they built guns of many grades, quite a few better than this, and there were better makers.
You and I can both see the difference in condition, but you can not discern a difference in quality? On the Scott, I can see file marks all over the face where the breech hooks in. I can see a difference in coverage and fineness of engraving.
To answer your questions: the platinum plugs in mine are vented. As to hammers: on mine, one is a replacement, but both are designed not to vent, but shaped "out of round" (actually, they're not, just a perspective thing with a mismatched hammer, but whatevs...) to closely enclose the nipples. Not sure how common that was; it might be a fashion, or an era, or peculiar to that maker...

Last edited by cadet; 01/24/16 05:43 AM.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.