May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Pinback, 2 invisible), 294 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,572
Posts546,456
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

hey jOe: its around 150 years old...should you look so good at that age...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

take the negative comments at the price you paid for them. have it checked and go from there you never know what you find.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A few years ago I put together some tips on "freshening up" and old shotgun to use as a shooter. As far as I can tell nothing I recommended would cause any permanent harm if someone wanted to do a later full-blown restoration. Doing this work typically has taken from 2-3 hours over a period of days and cost between $20-$30.

Steve

First do no harm Ive found that its easy and cheap to make a tired gun look a lot better by doing a few simple things.

Be sure when you take the gun apart that all your screw drivers tightly fit the screws so you dont bugger them up. Also, clean out the screwdriver slots on all screw heads before attempting to remove them, its amazing how much unseen dirt collects in the slots.

Stock I remove the stock and soak it for 12 to 24 hours in acetone, this will remove the old finish and much, if not all, of the soaked in black oil staining around the wood/frame area. After I let it dry, I rub it down with 0000 steel wool* and start wiping on very thin coats of True Oil. I let it dry between coats and then lightly rub the stock down with steel wool again before I wipe on the next coat of True Oil. I repeat 10-15 times and I always rub the stock down with the 0000 steel wool after the last coat to remove that cheap lacquered-look shine. Be sure to only give the checkered areas only 2-3 coats since the valleys fill up.

For cracks I use epoxy, I first spread the crack open as far as possible, then use one or more toothpicks laid on their side to keep it propped open. I next take slow curing epoxy and squirt it deeply into the crack with a disposable glue syringe (Hobby Lobby) then I take compressed air and blow it farther into the crack and then repeat with the glue syringe. I finally remove the toothpicks, press it together, wipe off the excess glue and wrap it with an old bicycle inner tube or rubber surgical tubing and let the epoxy cure for at least 24 hours. In some cases if need be, Ill drill and tap a small hole and screw in a thin stainless steel machine bolt slathered with epoxy. Ill pre-notch the screw with a file so I can break it off just below the level of the wood so it can be concealed better. I usually try to place any screws under the locks or the tangs. Through checkered areas is good since the checkering can be redone to hide the repair.

Metal frame and barrels I rub it down with light oil and 0000 steel wool to remove rust and grime. Ive also found that soaking the action overnight in Coleman Lantern fuel will clean out most accumulated grime and goo. After I pull it out of the Coleman fluid I use a bottle of high quality spray lubricant and one of those long red nozzles to spray lubricant into the recessed areas of the action. I let it set overnight in a standing position so the excess oil can drain out, then I use my air hose again to blow out any remaining excess oil. Usually that treatment will get the action working briskly without having to take it apart.

Barrels (assuming black and not browned barrels) I take the barrels that Ive cleaned with a 0000 steel wool rub and hose them down with automotive starting fluid to degrease them (dont be smoking when you do this!), after degreasing I rub the barrels down with a good quality cold blue treatment. Cold blue doesnt hold up as well as a rust blue, but its simple to do (and redo the next season) and wont hurt the barrels if you want to rust blue them in the future. Overall, while not nearly as good as rust bluing (especially in a side by side comparison) it will typically make the gun look a lot better than it did.
So thats my free advice for the day, its always worked well for me.

Steve
* be careful using sandpaper not to round the edges of the wood where the metal parts and butt-plate fits, I try to not use sandpaper at all.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

In the battered condition of this gun his best bet would be to scrap the platinum vents and move on.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
In the battered condition of this gun his best bet would be to scrap the platinum vents and move on.

He could remove the platinum plugs, thread the holes and replace them with screw-in steel plugs and sell the platinum to finance freshening up the gun. What a great idea jOe! You are amazing, an absolute genius!

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Now you're a gunsmurf crazy

Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
You are amazing, an absolute genius!

Better than being an idiot when it comes to guns.

Scrap the platinum (which is probably worth more than he paid for the gun) and use the rest as a fancy tOmato stake.

Sidelock
Sidelock

so much for preserving old gons and the history they represent.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Something the previous owners didn't know about....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
so much for preserving old gons and the history they represent.

And I guess you call ruining a receiver with an acetylene torch "preserving" them?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I should have it fully checked out by someone who understands what they are looking at and go with their guidance. It may not be a write off. I see that the barrels have the Scott Trade Mark. Post the serial number and I can year date it for you. Lagopus.....

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.