It's opinion and take it for what it is cost.

Only way to zero any rifle shot from position is from the position it will be used on the target that will be used. Take your anticipated position, offhand, sitting, from a rest in a elevated blind, whatever you expect you will use.

Shoot a group on a paper target, as similar to the game as possable. Deer Rifles I use a IDPA Pistol target on its side. Brown cardboard no distinct aim point, the center is perforations in the cardboard. Varmints I use a spray painted Ground Hog on brown cardboard. Have to hold on where you think you want the bullet to strike be just like the vital spot on animals Throw out the flyers, look for the guns "normal" group. 80 % ? its up to you. Box in the shots with a framing square then draw a X through the corners. Center of the X is center of impact.

I don't have a photo of a Shot up IDPA target but here is one of a Silhouette Ram to get the idea.

Zero off. Stopped and adjusted made up a new target with the corrected settings.

Zero centered, see the throw out shots ? no sense in using mistakes to zero.

Once zeroed I run the point of impact test multiple distances same sight setting. Just did it with a bolt 30/06, 2.5 power scope. 50 100 150 & 200 yards. One target moved it back every 3 shots. Did not fuss over the shots put the X hair on the target and pulled as fast as if I was in the field. It's real informative, close to real condition as you can get. Give you much more confidence real world.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 10/30/15 10:12 AM.