On the advice of my gunsmith, I purchased a can of Shooter's Choice Barrel and Choke cleaner. He told me it is the best solvent for melting plastic build up in the barrels. After shooting about 100 rounds of RST, 12 gauge ammo, I came home to clean the gun and to see how this new cleaning product performed. I have usually used Hoppes or Balistol in the past and I always clean my guns after shooting them. Well, at least I thought I was cleaning them.

To get to the point, it took me two hours and numerous clean outs before I got the barrels clean and free of the plastic fouling. I finally resorted to wrapping bronze wool around a bronze brush, attaching the cleaning rod to the end of a power drill, and reaming the barrels out for multiply times after I let the barrels soak in The Shooters Choice cleaner. Time after time of reaming and cleaning the barrels with cotton swabs, the plastic was still there but in less and less amounts. What concerned me was I was also picking up very small flecks of lead as the plastic melted and was rubbed away by the bronze wool.

Has anyone else ever experienced something like this?