Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Kutter;
Is that Stevens 200 the model which had the short breech bolt & consequently a much shorter receiver than most pumps or semi autos giving it a shorter overall length for the same barrel length. If you can post it would love to see a picture of it.

I believe that at the time these guns were built the 3" 20 gauge shells still only carried an ounce of shot, just gave a better wad column when bulk powders were often used. I would think you're very wise not to stuff it with "magnums".

That's the one. The breech bolt itself is only about an inch long. That keeps the recv'r short by not having to have a lot of empty space behind the ejection port for a long breech bolt to retract into.
I think there were two different designs to these Model 200 shotguns.
One using 2 sliding 'wings' to cover the port and provide a cartridge guide,,the other having only one such sliding plate or 'wing' as they are usually called.
The parts diagrams that can be found show the 2,,and a specific screw pattern on the right side of the recv'r. (They weren't shy about using screws in this gun).
The 2 guns I have use only one guide and have a different screw pattern.
I had another M200 many years ago, but don't remember which style is was.

The ejector is a T shaped bar in the center of the bolt face.
The firing pins seem to be broken often in these. Maybe they don't take kindly to dry firing.
The TD spanner wrench hides in the end of the mag tube. It looks like the end-cap of the tube but it unscrews w/the spanner attached. Most owners don't even realize it's there judging from the punch and hammer marks on the TD ring from attempts at disassembly. Only 1/3 turn on the TD ring and the bbl & forend assembly pulls straight forward out of the frame.

Didn't know about the early 20ga, 3" loads. Makes sense now in the light weight gun.

I have a couple pictures. I'll see if I can figure out the new picture posting thingy I have on this computer.