June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (Stanton Hillis, eeb, 1 invisible), 267 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,516
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have 2 hammered doubles that could, in theory, warrant a restoration. Given that restorations aren't inexpensive and that I lack the space, tools and skills to do it properly myself, before I spend the money, I'd like to ask everyone their thoughts as to when to restore and when not to. Both are currently shootable as is.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well if you were to post pictures or very detailed descriptions I could be of more help.

I'll post my generic thoughts since I do not have much information to work with. A full restoration to like new condition is rarely a sound economic decision. Some of my clients choose this route know fully that the money they spend will never be recovered. often times these decisions are influenced by sentimental attachment related to the gun I.E., this was grandpas gun. Re-blacking/browning of the barrels and furniture if done properly will enhance the looks of the gun as will a correct refinish of the stock. I usually suggest my clients refrain from restoring the CCH unless there is an underlying reason such as pitting needs to be removed or engraving picked up. I hope this was of some help.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

the only time to completely restore a gun is when your emotions and rationalization overrun your common sense.....if you like a particular type/style of gun buy the nicest you can find for the money you want to spend....if you want a nicer example buy one in nicer condition... but restoring is not the way to go....
even if its a family heirloom....your better off just maintaining it in shootable condition....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Skb and gunut have given you great answers.
A full restoration is very expensive because of the time and labor involved.
Not every gun needs a full restoration to be nice, a 100+ year old gun has earned a few flaws.
If I had one fully restored, I would shoot it till the day I die.
That way I would never know how much money I lost when it sells.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My answer is don't ever do it. It's almost always a waste of money.

Instead, put all your money towards stuff in good, original condition.

In the end, you'll own better guns (and guns that will appreciate more).

Old guns are like old faces: most of the time, they look better when left alone.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

If people did not do these ill advised restorations where would we find all the great conditioned old guns we love to buy???...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want an investment or something to tie up solid cash sell your crud and buy something propper collector grade.

Doing something battered up will never make it a collectors gun, it will still be a battered gun, but it might look a bit nicer.

If you want to enjoy the guns you own and shoot well with and feel they have earned the cost of restoration then go for it, they are your guns do as you like you may.

If they are poor guns, no amount of work will make them good, that old saying cant polish a * you know what.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless restoring guns is your hobby, and the time it takes to do it yourself is irrelevant, it's best to follow the advice given by those above.

Having said that, restoring/building guns is my hobby, and I have brought back guns that should have gone in the garbage bin. As a result, I am now able to own and shoot some very fine guns that I could never have been able to afford and purchase outright. Good thing my free time is, well, free.

I'll also end with, there is nothing worse than a bad restoration (which you see all too often) so think long and hard about the choice.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It can be done, but it is rarely worth the cost. I'm paid to polish turds quite often. Here are some before and after pictures of a couple of falling block rifles.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice SKB.

I gotta say, though, that the "before" pictures of the top gun didn't look all that bad to begin with. Unless there was damage I'm not seeing, (and even assuming I had an infinite budget) I think that one I would have left alone.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.