May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jeremy Pearce, DaveB, Ted Schefelbein), 303 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,561
Posts546,339
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Re the low noise/low recoil loads . . . they're also very low velocity. I've frequently heard them give a very "bloopy" report when the weather's on the cold side. Depending on what you're used to shooting, I think they're also slow enough that if you're shooting long crossing targets, you might need to think about readjusting your forward allowance.

I've shot a pheasant or two, and while I'm no fan of the hypervelocity stuff, I do think a good choice is the old "live pigeon" formula: 1 1/4 oz shot at 1220 fps. That's basically the RST load. (Problem is, the Big Three have bumped their velocity up so much that it's hard to find those old live pigeon loads in a decent quality shell, other than from RST.) I don't normally use loads that heavy on pheasants, my preference being in the direction of 1 1/16 oz Brit 6's (slightly larger than our 7's), or a reload I've used a lot that pushes 1 1/8 oz at around 1200 fps, pressure around 7,000 psi. That one produces really good patterns when I've shot paper with it, and it will kill a rooster about as far away as I'm comfortable shooting them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: oskar
In a lot of instances a cheap shell will run at a much higher pressure to achieve the same velocity than a much more expensive round that was designed for fine game guns. Cheap shells are expected to make every type of shotgun work without a burp and catch flack if they cause problems in the finickiest auto. Nobody expect RST's, Gamebore or Vintagers to run in a 3.5" semi auto.
. No, but I use RST shells for 90% of my side-by-side shooting, targets or game or even varmints- But they work just fine in my Mossberg 835 12 gauge UltiMag pump gun for crows and other camo needs shotgun work- slicker than snot on a Tiffany glass doorknob..

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Perry,
What Keith said. I'm not a reloader, but, I'm not above buying a flat of 1960s vintage Federal 1oz 16 gauge loads of number 8 shot, and using them up at the trap range-come to think of it, I just did that. Lady wanted $10 for the whole box. Seemed like an OK deal to me.
Those rounds got fed to an Ithaca model 37, and all of them went off without a hiccup. But, had they been 12 gauge, I'd have bought the box and fed them to one of the shooters. It's nice to own a gun or three that you don't worry about pressure, or, whatever.
Contrary to the experience of others here, I wouldn't use the WInchester low noise stuff on wild pheasants that have seen some pressure (almost all of them in my world). They only go up to 7 1/2 shot, and they aren't all that speedy. I like 5s and 6s for wild birds, I've been to some game farms where you could kill the pheasants with a handful of pebbles thrown at them, but, the wild birds need a bit more than that.
The low noise stuff is OK for grouse or woodcock.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

The AA Low Noise-Low Recoil 6,200psi loads aren't appropriate for larger birds like pheasants. They're OK for clays and smaller birds. It's the AA Xtra-lite one oz. 7 1/2 shot, 8,000psi loads that you would want for Pheasants. I generally don't take too long a shot with'em.

Last edited by Ken61; 03/25/15 10:36 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I guess there's just not enough interest for one of the big ammo makers to produce low pressure, modest velocity target loads with light shot charges for those of us who shoot vintage guns.

Federal offered exactly that in a paper hull a few years ago, but they did not last long. I think they were 7/8oz of 7-1/2 at about 1200fps. I bought some from Midway on closeout and still have a flat stashed fro emergencies. Fiocchi still makes a 12ga training load in plastic hulls, 7/8oz of 8s, about 6600psi.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken61
The AA Low Noise-Low Recoil 6,200psi loads aren't appropriate for larger birds like pheasants. They're OK for clays and smaller birds. It's the AA Xtra-lite one oz. 7 1/2 shot, 8,000psi loads that you would want for Pheasants. I generally don't take too long a shot with'em.

I inherited close to all of the actual pheasant hunting loads in 12 gauge that I will ever need after my Dad passed away, mostly 1 1/4oz loads in 5s and 6s. The Darne, the Uggy, and Dad's old Silver Snipe will digest them. Having said that, it is likely a good thing that the limit on pheasants in MN. is two cocks, and not 24.

On a related note, does anyone know what to do with a bunch of 12 gauge 3" loads of number 4 lead shot?

I got stuck with a bunch of that, too.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
Those 3" #4's make some terrific late season pheasant/prairie grouse loads if you've got a stout gun that can digest them. Used to hunt late season Sharptails in S.D., they got REALLY jumpy. Those 3" #4's were just the medicine for 50-60 yard shooting. Same medicine for late season, windy days on roosters, too. Can I assume you don't turkey hunt?

Steve

"Every one must believe in something, I believe I'll go hunting today."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry Ted, they are old duck loads. Not much use anymore.
I have cases of them.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
[quote=Ken61]

On a related note, does anyone know what to do with a bunch of 12 gauge 3" loads of number 4 lead shot?

I got stuck with a bunch of that, too.

Best,
Ted

Buy you a H.S. Strut "Hammerin'" mouth crow call and have at 'em. One a one-quarter ounce of fours is bad long range crow medicine. I love 'em.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 03/25/15 11:34 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Absolutely, Stan. That's exactly what I'm doing with 3-inch, 1 1/4 No.4 Winchester Super-X Magnums and Remington Express Magnums in my 20g a SKB Model 500.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.