June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (Dave Weber, Ken57, 3 invisible), 349 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,594
Posts546,841
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Good evening,

This is my first post... I have lurked for a bit and there is a lot of great information on this board along with some very interesting doubles.

I came here in my search to locate a serial number on a Charlin that a friend brought to me. This gun seems a little different in the takedown method than other Charlins that I have read about (I can't find too much information in general)...

Anyhow, a few photos are attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

ADK

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome on your first post. I'm looking at your friend's gun, particularly in the area of the opening lever, and it does not seem like the typical Charlin action at all-more like a model R Darne. Note the difference between the opening lever attachment on this Charlin, and, your friends:

This photo shows the button just forward of the trigger guard that is depressed to get the barrels off.

Please note that it is not as simple as pushing the button-you have to push the button and break the interference fit between the barrels and the receiver. It sounds brutal, but, I usually open the action all the way, hold the gun with both hands, push the button, and jab the muzzles into a piece of masonite hung on the wall for that purpose. Try not to strike the butt plate to attempt to do this, I've seen plenty of Darnes and Charlins with a broken toe on the stock.

The number under the opening lever is the gun's serial number, by the way.

A few more detailed photos of the action, open and closed, the safety, and up by the front of the trigger guard would certainly help.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Somebody must have restocked that Charlin.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Somebody must have restocked that Charlin.

What, you don't think beavertails were all the rage in pre-war France? Looks like they misplaced the back swivel, too.

I'd like to see a good photo of the gun looking down at the breech with the action all the way open. That will give me a clue as to whether it is an R model based gun, or, not.

Best,
Ted

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thank you both for the input.

It's interesting that it might not be what either me or my friend thought it was. It seems that the best source of information on these guns is "crowdsourced".

I was thinking that it was a Charlin and the information was on a plate found when disassembling the gun. It seems that answers the serial number question.

As to the rest of the gun, I'll take some more detailed photos today and upload them tonight. I really appreciate the help. This gun is beautiful, but well out of my knowledge range for firearms.

Best regards,

ADK

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Well, I fiddled around with the gun a little more today... Following some photos of similar guns that I found an was able to break the gun down. It came apart incredibly smooth once I figured out what to push and how to hold it.

Here is a link to more photos that I took today.

Any information on the manufacture date, model, etc., would be appreciated. Do you think that is was fitted with a new stock?

All numbers match throughout the gun. You were right on that the number in the earlier photos was the serial number.

Model, date of manufacture?

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/48015522_8Q6tc2#!i=3930762137&k=TLwZrvf

Last edited by ADKHiker; 03/15/15 07:34 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

WELCOME on your first postings
Here is one of your pictures
Thank you for sharing

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 03/15/15 07:51 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Definitely a Charlin!

I'm going to spend some time researching the gun to see if I can determine what the model is and when it was made.

That action is incredibly smooth. I am very impressed at the workmanship inside the gun.

ADK

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only picture I can see is the one Mike put up. I can't tell you a thing until I can see some more of it.

Best,
Ted

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

It looks like my link to my photo gallery didn't work. I'll put some of the images, below...

Here we go!

[img]http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-D5p9Kb5/0/M/i-D5p9Kb5-M.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-hV5hF3v/0/M/i-hV5hF3v-M.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.