Originally Posted By: cpa
I hope this question is not out of line, but many of us are still learning. What is "really bad, wrong, backwards" info?

I think that qualifies as a "Hit & Run". SDH does beautiful work, but I think like many professionals, he's leery of giving up his secrets so it doesn't affect his business. Understandable, and is a continuation of a centuries old tradition.

The rest of us "muddle through" and learn from our mistakes. I, for one, have made many, despite reading everything I could find on the internet. I have redone virtually every one of the first dozen Damascus and Twist guns I started with. If I had been closer, I think I'd have taken Diggory's course, but it wasn't an option.

One thing I've learned, unless you're a dedicated Do-it-Yourself type or have a large collection, you're better off sending a couple of guns out.

Rust-bluing requires being meticulous and paying attention to detail. For pattern-welded ones you additionally have to be downright "Anal" as far as details.

Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.