Vol423,
Without having your brass and rifle "in hand",I can't be 100% sure, but I suspect the 7x57R cases may be a couple thousanths larger than the 6.5x57R.Most people think the two cases started off with the same head diameter,but the 6.5 was on the M88 case and the 7mm was based on the M93 case, which was a couple thousanths larger in head diameter.Since chamber tolerances have to be on the + side and cartridge tolerances have to be on the - side, they often combine so that the cases are useable.As you can see,sometimes they don't.Also different manufacturers make them the same size for ease of manufacturing, and others not.The shoulder on the 6.5 is a little forward of the one on the 7mm, but that shouldn't cause your problem. How about trying this: remove the expander assy from the 6.5x57 FL die,install a 22Hornet shell holder(or block off the top of the normal one with a piece of steel)and force the case into the die,all the way to the rim.Then the case will have to be driven out with a close fitting punch.Once you do one case,see if it will chamber.If not,smoke the whole case with a lighter or candle and try again to chamber it.This should show where the interference is(if not the head, could be the length since necking a case to smaller dia usually makes them longer).BTY 6.5x57 dies are the correct dies for the 6.5x57R, just with the correct shell holder.As an after thought, did you do as I ususlly do and set the 6.5x57 die to size the cases to just "kiss" the shoulder of the cases fired in your rifle?If so,resetting it so that the shellholder bumps the die may do the trick, and you won't have to go to the "punch out" deal. Let us know how it works out.Your edit was being done as I was writing the sbove and the dimensions you inserted support my thought on the problem.If the suggested "fix" doesn't work, you might try a 270/30-06/444 or some other die to size the head.

Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 11/09/14 12:04 PM.