I agree about blowback if the "progressives" push too hard---but that applies to both parties, doesn't it? The GOP is performing elegant back-flips to accommodate cultural change. I'm sticking to Americans more attracted to culture than conservative rhetoric.

Mark Steyn, the Canadian-born writer and conservative political commentator published in the US, Canada and overseas, had this in today's newspapers (read the whole thing on google):

"Liberals expend tremendous efforts to changing the culture. Conservatives expend tremendous efforts changing elected officials every other November---and they are surprised it doesn't make much difference. Culture trumps politics---which is why once the questions have been settled culturally, conservatives are reduced to playing catch-up, twisting themselves into pretzels to explain why gay marriage is really conservative after all, or why 30-million unskilled immigrants with a majority of births out of wedlock are 'natural allies' of the Republican Party."

Poke fun at Boehner? No way. I said earlier he's the most interesting person in Washington, keeping the Tea Party and all the other balls in the air, which Mark Steyn refers to above. As an American, you're interested more in the play-by-play of the game. I'm interested more in competing strategies, whether in fact culture beat politics as appears now on the evidence above, whoever wins.

Sidney Crosby and Wayne Gretzky became the world's best hockey players because of a rare intuitive sense of knowing where the play was going---not happening, but where the puck would be, moving on the ice. They didn't have to look. I just like watching. My grandson played street hockey with Crosby. Crosby always won, five against him.

I don't think of Obama as top of his class but, again on the evidence, culture appears to be trumping politics, bumping along in fits and starts, like the pope, coaxing and waiting for the world to catch up.

Last edited by King Brown; 10/22/14 11:12 AM.