No, no, jihadists breaking the law are treated as any other criminals in Canada, not held without charge for years by the US nor tried in kangaroo courts declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court of the United States.

I don't know what Dave's concern will be called, but it shouldn't surprise Dave or me if Obama moves toward---maybe this is the word--- a new populism. He said reversing growing inequality "is certainly my highest priority."

Add amnesty for all "by executive order right after the mid-terms," as you say. What's more populist than that? And a modest minimum-wage hike. Some Democrat blowback for sure but populism engages in fits and starts.

I'm not as sure as Dave that healthcare is finito. Polling from 1980 to 2007 found Americans favouring national health insurance financed by tax money by 50 to 65 per cent of respondents.

Americans are rhetorically conservative but operationally progressive, as the old saying goes. There's evidence of it in both parties. Obama has cooled his jets. My guess is he'll set the populist stage for '16.