Within this discussion there has been much said about the pattern percentage improvements with "modern" cartridges. This was apparently the gist of the article by MM (haven't read it).

My question is, who has measured the implied differences? And if so how significant are they?

From memory Andrew Jones reckoned that a plastic cup wad delayed the opening up of the pattern by about two yards; which isn't very significant. A BASC study some time back comparing "modern" fibre wad shells to"modern" monowads with the same shot load found no difference at all. The variation from shot to shot was much greater than people imagine, certainly more than two yards worth. Does anyone have any numbers?

On the general premise of open chokes for hunting JEM Ruffer recommended true cylinder and Brit No 7 shot for all game shooting. I don't think he was much of a wood pigeon shooter, cool when I tried it I put a lot of birds into the bag, but no more than any other combination and as has been said I needed (and had) a good dog. Changing up to quarter choke and No 6 made a significant improvement in birds clean killed. This was over a number of seasons and some thousands of pigeon.

The lesson drawn was the same as others have stated; that the nature of the quarry trumps all theory.

Eug

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint