builder..please, please try to excuse my tactics, I am trying to make it safe for all those non-posting readers (that you speak of) to in fact contribute ocassionally without being slammed, jammed, or discredited for doing so...several members offered kind words of encouragement at the Syracuse show last weekend,(thank you all) saying things like "you get 'em" and " you don't discover anything in a museum" [quoting myself]...and my favorite "you need a pigeon gun"...only one member played the fence (B)...
This bullitin board system has the potential to be a great clearinghouse for research information, as it is, it's just a chat room disguised as a BBS. Imagine if college students could post serious questions here about Andrew Whitmore or Joseph Tonks, and the question sat unmolested until the right scholar, with perhaps the right information, came along, and a connection was made...LIKE A BULLITIN BOARD IS SUPPOSED TO BE... Nowadays, if a newbie leaves a scholarly post like that, five BBS pigeons will fly over to the posting and poop all over that scholarly question so that no one else will touch it, it's almost acceptable behavior here. The information exchanged here will rarely hold up to reference...this hurts everyone...and it undermines the true potential of the entire bullitin board system. If we could "shoe" these pigeons away, perhaps we could foster a climate where even the timid scholars can begin to participate. More likely, I'm just dreaming of better days where the system is open to all, not just the pigeons. Please advise if you refute these observations. You have been kind to me in advance, if you insist that I do things your way, I will comply