Originally Posted By: ed good
now that we are trying to be nice to each other, lets see how far I get with this thread before it blows up in my face.

first, some like erm. some don't.

second, some colors are applied as a by product of heat treating. some colors are applied via a chemical process that does not require enough heat to change the original factory heat treatment of the metal.

third, of those who like receiver case colors, some don't care how the colors are applied; and some, particularly here, insist that the only acceptable method of applying receiver case colors is via a high heat process, that necessitates re heat treating of the receiver metal.

fourth, over the years, I have sold many guns with receivers that have had their case colors replaced. some via the high heat method. some via the low heat method. interestingly, none of my customers have ever complained about the receiver case colors on their new gun. seems like they are happy with the way it looks and really don't care how the colors were applied.

your thoughtful and gentlemanly responses would be appreciated.
Ed, tell you how it is- I gave it some thought, and as I am nowhere near being a Gentleman, as us shanty Mick Irish are- "To the manure born" and not "To the Manor born" as are proper gentleman- I am going to abstain. My 55 plus years in the welding trade, I have used oxy-acetylene torches (mainly Victor) with "rosebud" tips to heat fabrication and lower alloyed carbon steels to bend or shape or form, much as a blacksmith might use his coal forge with the oxygen bellows to do the same, but I have never been asked to apply the 6000 degree neutral flame (or 5600 degree carburizing flame) as taken at the tip of the cone to ANY gun receiver--guess I was never in the right place at the right time for that- You might be in a bit of "Deep Kimshee" here, my friend, trying to re-instate yourself, perhaps walking away from this "Hot topic" may have been, in retrospect, the wiser move-- Who can say???

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..