The Bullseye people have responded. According to them, their current amber product is essentially the same thing as their orange product circa 1900. It is a natural, uncolored product with minor coloring variations from batch to batch.

Damascus, here's two more questions. Would Slacum be a more appropriate finish for a lower grade Birmingham gun from the mid-late 1800's? Over here I often run into these older hammerguns with Birmingham proofs. The second one is about your "Andy's Formula" for alkanet oil, in two parts. First, would there be any detriments or benefits of reducing the amount of linseed oil, even to the point of using straight walnut oil? I'm wondering if linseed was used because it may have been considerably cheaper. Secondly, Would an initial alkanet spirit stain (alkanet steeped in grain alc.) be beneficial to start the coloring process, followed by application of the oil?

How is your percussion restoration project coming?

Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 02/13/14 01:31 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.