Originally Posted By: Buchsemann

Do you use the 16ga 65mm Brenneke slugs in Germany? If so, what is your opinion of their performance?

Mark

Mark,

I have no own experience with slugs to share.
All I can do is to sum up what I've heard and read.
In one word: controversial...

The general canon is that slugs are an "emergency thing", in case you have no rifle barrel at hand, and a rifle bullet is the preferred thing for a big boar.
Then there is some fear that slugs may ricochet more than a rifle bullet, so they are prohibited in many drive hunts (you know, the owner and organizer of the hunt has the last word..). But this may well be a prejudice.

Slugs were widely used in the former DDR / GDR and older hunters there still say they worked for them, within their limits. But I think they are quite happy now to be able to use a rifle.

16 gauge, especially with a 65mm case unfortunately is "dead as the dodo" in modern Germany. Hard to find somebody who still uses the caliber.
My brother has a prewar Czech Lovena double rifle drilling 8x60R and 16/65, but as far as I know he never bothered with slugs. This is a heirloom piece from our grandfather, my brother invested lots of effort just to make the rifle barrels shoot together, including a new regulation in Ferlach, and he still calls it "a mimosa".

Regards, fuhrmann